Talk

Advanced search

Being referred to physio

(7 Posts)
sparkle101 Mon 05-Sep-11 11:14:47

Hi

I was wondering whether anyone had any experience of/could put my mind at est about my DD.

She is 12.5 months old, when born she was small and has continued being small (although following centile), she shows no interest in crawling, when you put her on her front she either rolls onto her back or throws a paddy and collapses in a heap on the floor, she can stand and hold onto things (but we have to stand her up) but is not moving her feet to walk. The doctor commented this morning and told me to contact HV as he was concerned, phoned the HV and she has referred us to pysio.

I feel like such a crap mum, that I missed the "how to help your child mobile" talk, that I didn't spend as much time with her as I could, that I should have been doing something else, that I should have done something sooner.....

Please tell me it will be okay!

bonnieslilsister Mon 05-Sep-11 12:01:48

But she is only 12.5 months old? 1 year and 2 weeks??? Surely all babies are different and some actually skip the crawling stage. If she is able to stand, albiet with help, I would think that in itself is a reassuring sign. If there are no other worrying signs I think the physio will say the doc has overreacted. Dont blame yourself!!! xx

lu9months Mon 05-Sep-11 19:50:54

my eldest ds didnt crawl til he was over a year, then he hardly crawled at all , just got up and walked at 14months! I didnt really worry about it, but it is a good idea to see the physio, because I have since find out that children who miss out on the crawling phase do have some disadvantages in co-ordination etc, so worth seeing what s/he has to say. but dont feel guilty, you havent done anything wrong at all.

CombineArvester Mon 05-Sep-11 19:59:12

Sounds like mine, commando crawling only at 13 months, didn't walk til 18 months. I was told at 17 months that as long as he can weight bear (i.e. stand holding on to something) they don't worry too much. Having said that mine turned out to be double-jointed, so there did turn out to be something wrong just not majorly wrong. Most babies are crawling at 12 months, but not all.

You don't need to have done anything, if she couldn't roll at 12 months or weight bear, or couldn't sit up at 10 months or something, that would have been a bit of a warning sign, but crawling is a really inexact milestone iykwim. Also what were you were supposed to have done? If you'd taken her to the doctor at 10 months saying she can't crawl, she can stand up though they'd have told you to get lost smile.

As for not moving her feet to walk, well, my DC2 also didn't walk til 18 months and there is nothing wrong with him at all he is just lazy.

survivingsummer Mon 05-Sep-11 20:10:55

Hi, I know it is worrying and stressful but hopefully you'll be told by physio that like others on the thread say there is no need to worry and she'll get there on her own timetable. If there is any issue you will be in the best place. DD has had physio from birth and I have to say that without it I'm not sure she would be mobile now.

Some children have hypermobile joints which can make them a bit later to crawl and walk. Both of my kids have this and is not necessarily an issue long term. Whatever happens, it won't be because of anything you haven't done with her smile

seaweed74 Mon 05-Sep-11 21:10:13

Hi. Whether your DD has a problem which means physio or is just taking her own sweet time with her gross motor skills, you are not at fault.

I ended up referring my non-standing, non-walking DD at 21 months for assessment and she was diagnosed as very hypermobile. Yes I wish i'd done more complaining about her lack of development physically a bit earlier especially as now she is just learning to walk at 2.8 yrs, but plenty of different health professionals had seen my DD and knew she wasn't weight-bearing and did not tell me this was def a problem!!! Oh, and I am a nursery nurse/nanny with more than 15 years experience!

It's always worth getting any potential problems looked into asap, and sometimes it takes an outsider to spot that there might be a problem. A relative commented on how amazingly bendy my dd's ankles were and how she'd never seen anyone do what my DD could do. I had noticed the bendy ankles but assumed as no one else had commented that maybe DD was just bit bendier than normal. Not so apparently!

Good luck with the physio. And remember your DD is only 12.5 months. She will not be the only one not crawling or trying to walk yet.

sparkle101 Tue 06-Sep-11 21:59:07

Thank you for your kind responses. I'm sure it will all be fine and as you have said at least they can rule out/rule in anything being wrong, interesting you should say about bendy ankles, my DD's ankles go out at almost right angles when she's stood up. Hmmm, have suffered with very bad anxiety in the past sort of new mum syndrome but 100 times worse so I automatically assume it is something I have done wrong, many thanks for putting my mind at rest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now