Talk

Advanced search

8 mo old ds

(11 Posts)
mummytasha11 Mon 05-Sep-11 10:29:34

Hi everyone,

Just wondering how often you take your dc to be weighed at clinic? I haven't taken ds since he was about 5 months.. He's defiantly thriving so is it important to take him?

Thanks

mejon Mon 05-Sep-11 10:40:34

With DD1 I used to go every few weeks at that age but it was more because it was convenient as the surgery was next to the supermarket and I'd often kill two birds with one stone so to speak. With DD2 (now 7 months), I haven't had her weighed since her 4 month jabs mainly because I can't abide the HV but also because I can see she's well and growing and I trust my instincts. I have pretty accurate scales at home and I use those occasionally (sitting DD in a washing up bowl makes it easier!) just to get a rough idea.

Octaviapink Mon 05-Sep-11 13:20:07

I take DS 9m about once every 6-8 weeks because it's a forty minute walk with the double buggy to the doctor's surgery and by the time we've walked into town, waited around and walked home it's something of a mission! I can see he's a little fatso so I don't worry. DD got weighed far more often because we lived near a children's centre that had a health visitor drop-in.

reallytired Mon 05-Sep-11 13:26:10

It is better to space out the number of times you get your baby weighed as they get older. Children do not put weight on as fast so you will not notice a significant weight gain in a week.

In some areas you have a development review at 9 months and that seems a good time to weigh your baby. Also when your lo has jabs.

Zimm Mon 05-Sep-11 21:15:25

Weighed every month or so for first 6 months. Then weighed at 10 months. She's now 13 months and I'm not sure I'll ever go again!

happygilmore Mon 05-Sep-11 22:33:01

DD is 15 months and I had her weighed and have not had her weighed since 4 months, can't see the point tbh.

happygilmore Mon 05-Sep-11 22:33:29

crikey, that message is illegible. Hopefully you know what I mean!

Graciescotland Mon 05-Sep-11 22:40:40

DS is 12mo I've not had him weighed since he was 4mo. He's obviously thriving and everyone thinks he's doing well. Don't really see the point of having him weighed.

sh77 Mon 05-Sep-11 23:25:24

Good point about spacing the weighings out. I was given scales by my HV and it causes me more worry than it is worth. I am skinny and DS was only 6.4lb. His weight has fluctuated between the 2nd and 9th centile - so, it does not always follow the same centile curve. I don't bother so much now as I can see how much he thriving developmentally and has had no illnesses.

milkyjo Tue 06-Sep-11 10:18:14

I suppose it depends also on any problems your baby has. I was taking my DS to be weighed every 2 weeks when he was tiny because he had reflux and wasn't gaining weight. He's now nearly 9 months and I'm taking him tomorrow as we need a new car seat and I want to check he's the right weight. Lat time he was weighed was 2 months ago.

Lainey1981 Tue 06-Sep-11 13:16:11

Haven't taken him to be weighed since he was 9 weeks old. I just plonk him on the digital bathroom scales. He is 9mo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now