Talk

Advanced search

Going rate for weekly pocket money - 7 year old about to go into Y3

(11 Posts)
HandbagAddiction Sun 04-Sep-11 21:39:53

Decided that with DD1 about to go into Y3 and also into a new school, that we would consider giving her some pocket money in return for helping around the house / doing some chores. Stuff on the 'chores' list is things like making her bed each morning, helping to put her things into the dishwasher, hanging up school uniform after school, etc. So nothing major and therefore we're not thinking of a huge amount of cash here.

The added bonus for us is that it starts to get her engaged with money a bit more and particularly the value of things, saving up to get something she really wants and that she knows I would buy her for example.

So - basic question though - what generally is the going rate for pocket money these days?

trouble2plus2 Sun 04-Sep-11 23:28:21

God only knows. We also have a 7yo/yr3. We expect that some things, like hanging coat up etc are done regardless. She doesn't get pocket money but she is very entrepreneurial so likes helping for money. She gets 50p for emptying the dishwasher or similar. She is capable, for example, of bringing the washing off the line, or sweeping in the kitchen. But she soon gets bored and just waits for another tooth to fall out instead, as the tooth fairy gives a whole £1 for a tooth she doesn't need anymore anyway. Win/Win as far as she's concerned.

mrsbaffled Mon 05-Sep-11 17:52:37

My 7yo gets £1 a week. I think that's a bit stingy compared to his friends, but I think it's good for him to learn to save up for things he wants...

DeWe Mon 05-Sep-11 18:44:28

60p a week for my about-to-go-into-year-3.

CocktailQueen Mon 05-Sep-11 19:44:41

we give her £1 a week with 50p extra if she does her chores all week.

BirdyBedtime Tue 06-Sep-11 08:40:17

DD is 6 and just gone into P2 (Scotland). She gets £1 a week but has to make her bed, help set and clear the table and general tidying up. She also has to have had less than 3 strikes (being sent to her room for naughtiness). I'd say she gets it every other week on average!! She is good at saving it up though and every now and then we count the piggybank and go shopping for a little toy/book etc.

Flyonthewindscreen Tue 06-Sep-11 10:54:38

My DD is 7, just started yr 3. She gets £2 a week, the same as her 9yo brother. However she loses it at a rate of 20p each time for assorted naughtynesses (have a sticker chart with 10 stickers on it). We are changing over to the DC earning this money though chores instead of losing it as a punishment tho as 1) don't feel they do enough/anything to help out around the house 2) bellowing "you will lose a pocket money sticker" isn't working as a sanction and grounding/losing screen time is a better form of discipline.

flack Tue 06-Sep-11 11:09:46

Mine gets his age in £ per month (so like...£1.63/wk?). He does not have to do chores for it, but 10 pence/incident is docked for certain things (name-calling and excess burping hmm). He can easily earn an extra 40p/day by doing jobs (like peeling potatoes, emptying dishwasher completely).

DC have to do things like take plate thru to kitchen after tea, hang up coat, put away own shoes, as a matter of course (not tied to mone), anyway.

DottyDot Tue 06-Sep-11 11:14:31

ds1(9) and ds2(7) each get £1 a week and for that they have to do jobs - setting the table/clearing the table/hoovering/putting clothes away etc.

We've said when ds1 starts secondary school his pocket money will go up to around £5 a week but that he'll have to buy everything he wants with it - magazines, sweets etc. whereas now we also tend to get them bits and bobs.

HandbagAddiction Tue 06-Sep-11 21:57:35

Great feedback ladies and appreciate the input. I think we might go for something like £1.50 per week and based on helping with chores.

Dozeynoo Wed 07-Sep-11 23:08:33

Last year for DS1 who was in year 3 we did 50p basic plus the opportunity to earn an extra 10p a weekday for a full set of 'ticks' each morning bedmade/room tidy/getting dressed without making a fuss/schoolbag ready giving a total of up to £1. I also pay out £1 for full marks in the weekly spelling test.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now