Talk

Advanced search

18 week old no longer sleeping through

(13 Posts)
CaringForPod Sun 04-Sep-11 09:02:36

He's been sleeping through the night for a couple of months, but for the last few nights he's been waking for a feed at 2/3am. Is this 'normal'. He's still in our room, so leaving him to cry isn't really an option as it'd drive us both nuts. One night I just cuddled him and he kind of slept (although I was like a zombie for the next day), and then last night my husband gave him a bottle (which he drained). Do babies normally have another growth spurt around 4 months? He goes to bed around 8pm and until recently was sleeping until 5/6am. I was rather enjoying this stretch of unbroken sleep!

Sleepglorioussleep Sun 04-Sep-11 10:15:10

I've read about a phenomenon called the four month sleep regression. Try the sleep section of mumsnet-comes up a lot. It's really tough when they seem to be going backwards. Hope it improves soon for you.

MockingbirdsNotForSale Sun 04-Sep-11 10:28:42

Yup, totally normal and its not because they need solids its a developmental spurt that causes night wakenings. Wait out for the 9 month one where they're compelled to practise their skills in the night and wake up standing in the cot....

Mimmee Sun 04-Sep-11 10:35:02

Yes totally normal - DD did the same was sleeping from 7 - 5.30 until 19 weeks and then it all went haywire!

It's a combination of growth spurts and developmental changes - sleep regression is also quite common in 4 months old so I have heard.

Only advice I can give is to just go with it and a new pattern will emerge with time, really hard though I sympathise.

mrsbaffled Sun 04-Sep-11 13:14:21

There are very large growth spurts at around 16 and 20 weeks. This could be part of either/both of them. It won't last forever smile

Jergens Sun 04-Sep-11 14:37:26

Sounds like the four month sleep regression to me. I could have written the same 6 mos ago. We just went with it and fed DD every time she woke. She then started sleeping through the night we moved her into her own room (at 7 mos).
Hang in there!

CaringForPod Sun 04-Sep-11 19:54:02

Thanks everyone. Good to know it's par for the course. We'll just be grinning and bearing it, then!

Couldn't see the sleep section - must have missed it in my sleep deprived state!

LittleMilla Sun 04-Sep-11 21:26:49

I too and going through this with my DS. TBH, your bad night sounds like a good one for us before all this started!

There's a live thread in sleep ATM.

It's hidious. Plus, it seems totally variable as to how long it'll last.

Sleepglorioussleep Sun 04-Sep-11 21:47:36

The sleep section is under body and soul-I stumbled across it a few weeks ago. Not easy for the sleep challenged to find-ironically!

lollystix Sun 04-Sep-11 22:37:55

All 3 of mine have gone mental with sleep at 4 months - just when you think you've cracked it at 3 months. I smile sweetly at those smug friends who gleefully announce that 'twinkletoes has been sleeping through since 3 weeks' cos I know what's round the corner and they don't wink

CaringForPod Mon 05-Sep-11 07:49:55

LittleMilla - thanks for the link. I know that we are fortunate in his sleeping, but once you've got used to a good(ish) night's sleep again it's hard to go back. I also have problems sleeping anyway so it's taking its toll. But I know there's an end in sight, eventually. I do have total sympathy with you though. I think if I were BF, then it would be a different story. Have just about come to terms with bottle feeding (hideous guilt and mentally beating myself up), but at least sleep is generally a bit better.

LittleMilla Mon 05-Sep-11 09:08:21

CaringForPod - I completely sympathise. Pre-baby I would sleep for roughly 9 hours a night, with an afternoon nap at weekends if I was going out in the night. And it seems that once they tease you with a couple of decent chunks, it becomes MUCH harder when things like this happen.

Fingers crossed it'll pass soon. We had an 8pm, 11pm and 2:30pm wake up and feed. Then DS slept until 7:45am hmm...which he has NEVER done. I feel rather OK though today, first time in ages!

Bizarre.

CaringForPod Tue 06-Sep-11 08:15:12

Hope your little one realises that sleep is pretty damn good too soon! Ours seems to be getting worse - grumbling every couple of hours (that's new) and feeding at 3am. Still, I rock the zombie look!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: