Talk

Advanced search

18 week old no longer sleeping through

(13 Posts)
CaringForPod Sun 04-Sep-11 09:02:36

He's been sleeping through the night for a couple of months, but for the last few nights he's been waking for a feed at 2/3am. Is this 'normal'. He's still in our room, so leaving him to cry isn't really an option as it'd drive us both nuts. One night I just cuddled him and he kind of slept (although I was like a zombie for the next day), and then last night my husband gave him a bottle (which he drained). Do babies normally have another growth spurt around 4 months? He goes to bed around 8pm and until recently was sleeping until 5/6am. I was rather enjoying this stretch of unbroken sleep!

Sleepglorioussleep Sun 04-Sep-11 10:15:10

I've read about a phenomenon called the four month sleep regression. Try the sleep section of mumsnet-comes up a lot. It's really tough when they seem to be going backwards. Hope it improves soon for you.

MockingbirdsNotForSale Sun 04-Sep-11 10:28:42

Yup, totally normal and its not because they need solids its a developmental spurt that causes night wakenings. Wait out for the 9 month one where they're compelled to practise their skills in the night and wake up standing in the cot....

Mimmee Sun 04-Sep-11 10:35:02

Yes totally normal - DD did the same was sleeping from 7 - 5.30 until 19 weeks and then it all went haywire!

It's a combination of growth spurts and developmental changes - sleep regression is also quite common in 4 months old so I have heard.

Only advice I can give is to just go with it and a new pattern will emerge with time, really hard though I sympathise.

mrsbaffled Sun 04-Sep-11 13:14:21

There are very large growth spurts at around 16 and 20 weeks. This could be part of either/both of them. It won't last forever smile

Jergens Sun 04-Sep-11 14:37:26

Sounds like the four month sleep regression to me. I could have written the same 6 mos ago. We just went with it and fed DD every time she woke. She then started sleeping through the night we moved her into her own room (at 7 mos).
Hang in there!

CaringForPod Sun 04-Sep-11 19:54:02

Thanks everyone. Good to know it's par for the course. We'll just be grinning and bearing it, then!

Couldn't see the sleep section - must have missed it in my sleep deprived state!

LittleMilla Sun 04-Sep-11 21:26:49

I too and going through this with my DS. TBH, your bad night sounds like a good one for us before all this started!

There's a live thread in sleep ATM.

It's hidious. Plus, it seems totally variable as to how long it'll last.

Sleepglorioussleep Sun 04-Sep-11 21:47:36

The sleep section is under body and soul-I stumbled across it a few weeks ago. Not easy for the sleep challenged to find-ironically!

lollystix Sun 04-Sep-11 22:37:55

All 3 of mine have gone mental with sleep at 4 months - just when you think you've cracked it at 3 months. I smile sweetly at those smug friends who gleefully announce that 'twinkletoes has been sleeping through since 3 weeks' cos I know what's round the corner and they don't wink

CaringForPod Mon 05-Sep-11 07:49:55

LittleMilla - thanks for the link. I know that we are fortunate in his sleeping, but once you've got used to a good(ish) night's sleep again it's hard to go back. I also have problems sleeping anyway so it's taking its toll. But I know there's an end in sight, eventually. I do have total sympathy with you though. I think if I were BF, then it would be a different story. Have just about come to terms with bottle feeding (hideous guilt and mentally beating myself up), but at least sleep is generally a bit better.

LittleMilla Mon 05-Sep-11 09:08:21

CaringForPod - I completely sympathise. Pre-baby I would sleep for roughly 9 hours a night, with an afternoon nap at weekends if I was going out in the night. And it seems that once they tease you with a couple of decent chunks, it becomes MUCH harder when things like this happen.

Fingers crossed it'll pass soon. We had an 8pm, 11pm and 2:30pm wake up and feed. Then DS slept until 7:45am hmm...which he has NEVER done. I feel rather OK though today, first time in ages!

Bizarre.

CaringForPod Tue 06-Sep-11 08:15:12

Hope your little one realises that sleep is pretty damn good too soon! Ours seems to be getting worse - grumbling every couple of hours (that's new) and feeding at 3am. Still, I rock the zombie look!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now