Talk

Advanced search

6 month development. A little worried ...

(10 Posts)
MCDL Sat 03-Sep-11 09:39:54

What should a six month be doing with regard to development, a friend of mine has a six month old boy, I was playing with him during their last visit. he is chewing his hands but nothing else, picking up nothing, I handed him a little toy and he could not grasp it in his hands. Should a baby this age be picking up things and passing from hand to hand, putting everything in sight into his mouth.

ThatsNotMyBabyBelly Sat 03-Sep-11 16:11:52

My 12 week old can grab toys and let them go - albeit randomly. At 6 months he should be sitting up really and certainly grabbing and chewing/sucking toys. A chat with the hv may be in order, although they should be looking and checking these things anyway.

Octaviapink Sat 03-Sep-11 19:03:00

I doubt you need to worry - babies don't do things to order and your friend may be quite happy with his development. He may do all the things he's 'supposed' to when you're not there. He just might not have wanted the toy you were passing him - at this stage you're far more interesting than a toy!

Albrecht Sat 03-Sep-11 20:10:43

Has your friend said she is worried at all?

Some aren't sitting up by 6 months (think hvs only worry if they aren't by 9 months) and I think passing hand to hand is more like 7-8 months. He may just love sucking his hands as its double sensation. And my friend's ds never put toys in his mouth at all.

Poweredbypepsi Sat 03-Sep-11 22:08:18

none of mine have been sitting at 6 months. I cant remember about grasping to be honest but 6 months is still pretty young he may even just have been having an off day.

MedicalEd Sun 04-Sep-11 08:04:11

My six month old is not that interested in toys when new people are around - they are far too interesting.

RitaMorgan Sun 04-Sep-11 08:13:44

Mine was nowhere near sitting at 6 months. I can't remember if he was grasping things - I guess he must have been as he was feeding himself at that age.

LawrieMarlow Sun 04-Sep-11 08:18:27

DS definitely not sitting at 6 months. DD sat a bit after 6 months. Can't really remember about grasping things though.

emmyloo2 Tue 06-Sep-11 08:00:15

My DS wasn't sitting by 6 months. He is now but he is 9.5 months. He has been sitting well for about 1 month. He does now grab things and stick them in his mouth but don't think he was doing it at 6 months.

Jaxlily Wed 14-Sep-11 12:11:34

DD is 6 months next week. She isn't sitting yet, despite her best efforts but has been grabbing things for a while now. That said, she only grabs a toy to chew on if there is nothing/no-one more interesting going on. She hates being on her tummy and will not roll over. She does like lying on her side though. She also thinks she should be able to walk :-o Babies develop different things at different times and not necessarily in the order "they" say they will. I wouldn't worry too much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now