Talk

Advanced search

My 5 month old daughter screams after coming out the bath and being changed, Help!

(22 Posts)
Tanz825 Fri 02-Sep-11 17:24:39

Hi,

Im looking for some advise or even why my LO is like this. My baby girl is 5 months old and loves to have a bath. But as soon as i lay her down on her changing mat after the bath she starts screaming all the way through drying her, putting talc on her and while putting her baby grown on, right up until i pick her up. Iv tried everything i can think of to distract her singing, giving her toys, talking to her, tickling her and my partner trying to keep her amused/distracted while i get her ready for bed, nothing works. She is a really good baby this is probably to only time of day when she scrams like this. Any other ideas as to how i can make this more enjoyable for both of us?

Looking forward to your replies

Tanya

Moulesfrites Fri 02-Sep-11 17:27:05

Just do it as quick as you can and get it over with! That's what I do! If this is the only time she cries you can't really complain.

supergreenuk Fri 02-Sep-11 17:29:53

Hummm if you've tried singing I don't know what else to say as this worked for ours sorry.

mousesma Fri 02-Sep-11 17:29:55

Maybe try doing bathtime a bit earlier my DD gets like this if she's overtired.

shazzzza Fri 02-Sep-11 18:20:51

My DS just this too after his bath, the only thing that stops him is singing

TheOriginalFAB Fri 02-Sep-11 18:22:15

Leave off the talc, one les thing to do.

My son would cry as soon as he got out of the bath too and it was because he was so desperate for his milk.

TheOriginalFAB Fri 02-Sep-11 18:23:15

And maybe stop bathing her every night.

StrandedBear Fri 02-Sep-11 18:23:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Iggly Fri 02-Sep-11 18:29:01

Probably tired and hungry! The bath distracts her so as soon as she gets out she remembers.

So early bath and not every night.

ellesabe Fri 02-Sep-11 19:16:49

Have you tried baby massage? My LO also used to hate getting out of the bath but after attending a massage class we did it every evening after bathtime for about 4 months and now she doesn't need it any more.

ChippingIn Fri 02-Sep-11 19:19:50

Well, I'd say that either she just loves being in the water or is a bit cold when she gets out - do you keep her well wrapped up in a towel?

I wouldn't worry too much, lots of babies don't like the faff of getting dried/dressed!

PS: I wouldn't use talc on her, it's not good for them to breath in the small particles.

Jergens Fri 02-Sep-11 19:41:57

Agree with others - DC probably distracted by bath and once out, realises they are hungry and tired!

DeSelby Fri 02-Sep-11 20:16:16

I used to warm the towel, seemed to help a bit.

plantsitter Fri 02-Sep-11 20:34:11

DD1 used to do this every night too. We tried everything and eventually just let her get on with it and did it all as fast as poss. In fact it got so that if she didn't yell at that time we got worried she wasn't tired enough to sleep!

PinkEmily Fri 02-Sep-11 20:52:39

My DD did this, once she got to six months and could sit up, we stopped trying to lie her down, and dried her in a sitting position. Now at 10 months she objects strongly to being laid down and we have to try and dry and dress a moving target! But she doesn't cry anymore at least.

madwomanintheattic Fri 02-Sep-11 20:56:36

like pink said - try wrapping her in atowel straight away and keeping her sitting up on your lap whilst you dry her.

other than that - it's suck it up time really. grin it's quite normal to squawk if you're pulled out of a nice warm bath, whisked away and laid on a cold(er) mat. all three of mine did it, i think. (dd1 was a real treat - she did it when she got out of the swimming pool too. until she was about 3 and i learnt that even before i dried her i had to feed her or give her a drink immediately lol. your dd is a bit young for that, but you might want to bear it in mind! grin)

cockle84 Fri 02-Sep-11 22:16:37

I bath my 5 month old in stages. When she first goes in she plays and splashes around, then I sit her up to wash her, then tell her it's time to get out and stand her up in the bath towel at the ready, wrap her up and snuggle her whilst smiling and singing or telling her she's a good girl. Then tell her she's going to lie down and get dressed, and sing while she's getting dressed (if she's happy I do a quick massage, if she's a bit on edge I just power through and get her dressed quickly.........seems to work for me.

ledkr Fri 02-Sep-11 22:36:03

They all do this dont they?All my 5 did,they are cold wet and tired,i bring dd 7months down to dress her sat on my lap as its an easier battle to fight. Should we be using talc,i thought it wasnt advised?

madwomanintheattic Fri 02-Sep-11 22:39:53

talc can be tricky for respiratory issues, def. haven't used talc on any of mine - thought it got advised against about 8 years or so ago? they still chuck it in bounty bags (blee) though, don't they? so you keep on buying it...

flowerfairy Fri 02-Sep-11 22:46:37

DD is 6mths and had sone this since the start, i just power through as have tried all the same ideas as you. Don't remember Ds crying to the same extent though. Avent do a liquid talc, which is nicer than Johnson's

smoggii Fri 02-Sep-11 23:05:00

Our DD (8 mths) screams after being taken out of the bath because she loves the bath, she has also hated lying down since the day she could sit unaided and screams if we lie her down to change her, happy to lie down when she's tired though hmm

We find the 'hot dog' dance song sometimes works, as does sniffing her feet and saying 'poooh they stink' while pulling a face, this makes her laugh so kind of distracts her a bit

SarahBumBarer Sat 03-Sep-11 08:52:52

Very very common. DS (and all his "friends") have been like this. I do as much of his dressing now standing up (he just kind of leans on me) or sitting up which is a bit of a faff but has massively reduced the screaming fits while he is being dressed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now