Talk

Advanced search

Tips for 'training' LO to poo at a certain time each day (i.e. at home, not at school!)

(6 Posts)
dairymoo Fri 02-Sep-11 14:58:50

My DTs (just 4) are starting school next week and are still not particularly proficient at wiping their bottoms. I know it's desirable if they can do it themselves, but not totally uncommon if they can't, but I just think the whole situation would be easier if I could somehow encourage them to poo roughly at the same time each day, perhaps after breakfast or after tea - or at a time when I can be around to help them wipe. I am dreading them both ending up with sore bottoms from not wiping correctly! Has anyone ever managed this?? If so, how?!

twotesttickles Fri 02-Sep-11 20:07:44

DS manages to poo at 10am each morning. This is one hour after banana time. I suggest this may not be coincidence. A large drink of water with breakfast can help get things moving but unfortunately they may just have to get on with it and learn better wiping. They probably won't have a problem. Most little kids are a bit niffy to one degree or another. It's little girls who get BV from wiping the wrong way, boys seem to just pong.

ChippingIn Fri 02-Sep-11 20:10:59

I admire your concern - but to be honest, it's a little over the top. Lots of 4 year olds aren't too good at it, they soon learn.

You need to be very careful or you will make them very anxious.

Some kids automatically 'wait' until they get home... you may be worrying over nothing.

Northernlurkerr Fri 02-Sep-11 20:13:00

Please don't give them anxiety about when they can poo. You might as well book your hospital appointment now for intractable constipation if you're going to try and muck around with their bowel timetable.

dairymoo Fri 02-Sep-11 20:17:16

I know I am probably overthinking it, and worrying over nothing, and they will be completely fine. I was mainly just curious to see whether such a thing had ever been managed...

Toilet training has not been an easy route in this house (chronic constipation/impaction, etc) and so yes, I am pretty careful about not adding any unecessary pressure, really just trying to eliminate any additional angst.

dairymoo Fri 02-Sep-11 20:26:44

x-post Northernlurker - yes, I am well aware about adding anxiety. We have been there, got the t-shirt (and the stinky pants!). Will toss idea aside, and concentrate on enjoying the last few days of slobbing around in PJs instead. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now