Talk

Advanced search

When should cutlery should replace hands?

(14 Posts)
LeoTheLateBloomer Fri 02-Sep-11 07:21:24

Although DD is capable of using a spoon and is sort of getting the idea of stabbing food with a fork, she will always resort to using her hands for eating (even yoghurt).

She's only 16 months so I'm not too concerned about it at the moment, I was just wondering when I should start really pushing the use of cutlery over hands.

I often end up feeding her porridge in the mornings because she's got loads of hair and if I've just washed it, getting porridge in it makes me angry and sad (blush). I give her a spare spoon and try to encourage her to use it but it generally ends up on the floor.

Any tips for when the time comes?

ProfYaffle Fri 02-Sep-11 07:26:06

Let her keep her hands. Juggling's a bugger with knives for fingers.

Tigresswoods Fri 02-Sep-11 07:31:48

Persist... And maybe try shreddies for the sake of your sanity & her hair. 18 month old DS is currently having on rotation porridge, rice krispies, corn flakes, puffed wheat, shreddies. He does better with spoon with these. Good luck.

LeoTheLateBloomer Fri 02-Sep-11 07:32:25

That was my thinking but I'm paranoid she'll get to the stage where she's going to a friend's house for tea and can't/won't use cutlery!

(I know I'm looking way into the furture here, but I worry about these things blush)

MmeLindor. Fri 02-Sep-11 07:38:55

She really will learn to use cutlery. Honest.

Don't worry about it. She is not even 2 years old yet.

Let her use the cutlery when you are eating less messy stuff, or before bathtime.

Allboxedin Fri 02-Sep-11 07:43:56

mine is 22 months and can use a knife and fork but I'm not worried about her using her hands as long as it is going in her mouth. I just think well from where her daddy comes from they eat with their hands anyway! Definately encourage it but I wouldnt force it at this stage as eating is enjoyment!

Nagoo Fri 02-Sep-11 08:11:38

I'd say by 2 they should be making a reasonable effort. A mealtime doesn't go by without me helping 4 YO DS but he's got to try smile

Nagoo Fri 02-Sep-11 08:12:14

swimming cap for the mornings? wink

seeker Fri 02-Sep-11 08:20:52

But make sure that cutlery is always available. And make sure that she sees other people using cutlery- or eating "nicely" with their hands if that"s your cultural tradition. They can't learn if they don't see.

mrsbaffled Fri 02-Sep-11 08:30:39

My DS is 7 and he still can't do knife and fork. Mind you we are trying to get him assessed for dyspraxia :/ I would say that they need to be able to use a knife and fork by the time they get to school.

seaweed74 Fri 02-Sep-11 23:16:34

My DD is 2.8yrs (but about 15-18 months developmentally) and although she knows what cutlery is for and how to hold it correctly, she doesn't use it. She does usually pick up her fork and spoon and lie them on the plate then use her hands to eat! DD will not be spoon fed anything except vanilla petit filous dessert. She has always resisted me feeding her.

Family comments and criticisms have been forth coming recently as DD's 19 month old cousin uses a spoon now! My philsophy is that cutlery will be provided as appropriate and she will use it by the time she is 5 (I hope smile). In the meantime DD's hair is put in a ponytail at breakfast to try and preserve it as long as poss. Nor do I dress her before breakfast so that at least for a brief part of the day she is clean!!!!

Flisspaps Fri 02-Sep-11 23:44:26

I'd not even really considered cutlery for 18mo DD shock <bad mother>

I occasionally stick a spoon out if I remember, but for most meals, it's hands.

DS is just 3 and he uses a fork and spoon really well, he is just learning how to use his knife at the moment.

It is not a biggie I don't think, although I'd like him to be a fair bit better with the knife before he goes to school!

Shanghai Fri 02-Sep-11 23:56:30

I wouldn't worry about it for ages yet! Where I live (admittedly v different culture), you often see kids of 6 or 7 who are being fed by super indulgent granny!! They wouldn't have a clue what to do with a knife/fork/spoon.... or chopsticks for that matter! my ds is just 2 and does pretty well with a fork or spoon when he's motivated, but a lot of the time these days he's far too busy to stop and eat so I end up feeding him (so much for all that baby led weaning we did!!) so that he gets something in his tummy, especially if it's something sloppy and messy. In my opinion you do what you have to do and eventually they won't want to be fed because they will see everyone else using cutlery and will want to join in - I do hope I'm right!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now