Talk

Advanced search

9mo dd suddenly refuses to nap

(3 Posts)
ellesabe Thu 01-Sep-11 09:45:34

She has always been very good at sleeping and has previously had a good napping routine 9-10am and 12:30-2pm.

However, she has recently learnt how to rock on her hands and knees and will fight sleep until the point of hysteria whenever I put her down for a nap.
I often have to just get her up in the end as I haven't got the time or inclination to hang around at home for hours at a time while she whinges in her cot.
She also doesn't sleep in her buggy any more (v annoying!), just spends the whole time trying to sit herself up and craning her neck to see the world go by.

I'm not sure what I can do really, other than letting her exhaust herself, because she will always go to sleep eventually, even if it's 6 hours and 3 failed nap times later! It's just really hard seeing her so tired and grumpy all day. And I really need to get out and about otherwise I start to lose my mind!

Any tips or reassurance would be well received!

AngelDog Thu 01-Sep-11 14:04:09

Could be the 8/9 month sleep regression. DS went from napping 2 hours to only 30 mins for a fortnight then, which was horrible for both of us. (More info here, here and here.)

Maybe try a bit of a later nap?

Does she fall asleep when being rocked in your arms, or fed? In a sling on your back?

It might well clear up once she's got over the novelty of being able to get on hands & knees.

kellieb7 Thu 01-Sep-11 21:03:42

I really struggled with daytime naps with my LO and felt trapped at home some days because DD needed to sleep and wouldn't sleep in her pram. I brought a snooze shade for the pram and it really was the best thing I have ever brought as just like your LO my DD was just too nosy to nod off when we were out and about. Now when I see DD is getting sleepy, I pop the shade down and she is asleep in seconds, it also works at home if we don't go out grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now