Talk

Advanced search

Do babies prefer certain colours?

(13 Posts)
bigredtractor Wed 31-Aug-11 18:52:46

Hello, We have a 10 month old DS who seems to favour anything and everything green! Toys, objects, anything really.

It's v odd- he makes a bee-line for anything green and picks green things out of groups of identical things, e.g. Balls, blocks, cups etc.

Anyone ever experienced anything similar? We're just curious really, to see whether it's normal baby behaviour!! Not concerned, just interested...

bigredtractor Wed 31-Aug-11 20:37:54

Shameless bump... sorry!

diyvspse Wed 31-Aug-11 20:42:27

That's easy. Geniuses prefer green.

envy

bigredtractor Wed 31-Aug-11 20:56:00

Nooooooooo! It's a serious question... Well, obviously not serious in the scale of things, but we're genuinely curious!!

I did initially think 'colour blind?', but then realised that made no sense! D'oh...

kellieb7 Wed 31-Aug-11 20:58:53

I am no expert but my DD (8 months) definately has a preference for pink and will also go for pink things before anything else.
I also wonder many things like this grin

bigredtractor Wed 31-Aug-11 21:07:00

Good to know- thanks smile

diyvspse Wed 31-Aug-11 21:31:44

I was being serious too!

hollysmam Wed 31-Aug-11 21:43:17

For a long time my dd has liked to match certain things of a specific colour, eg blue goes with red and green goes with yellow or orange. Lego blocks mostly. I have never seen her with a blue and yellow one!!! Think it must be that these colours obviously 'go' together!! grin

boognish Thu 01-Sep-11 22:47:39

I got my 6mo ds an ELC pack of 3 emergency vehicles, so red, white and blue. The fire engine won hands down.

ThroughTheRoundWindow Sat 03-Sep-11 21:28:37

My DD loves green things too! Initially thought it was because when she was very little she was fascinated by trees and so anything the same colour as them was interesting too. But she has got over the tree thing but still prefers her green toys over any other. She even likes green food the best (I've given her potatoes, courgette and chicken on a plate and she has gone for the courgette first - who on earth likes courgette more than chicken and potatoes? Has to be the colour!!)

No idea why. Maybe she just likes it?

EBDteacher Sun 04-Sep-11 09:49:54

Well, I think they do!

I think my 12mo DS's favorite colour is orange. He seems particularly interested in orange things and pats them (which is DS for 'I like you!').

His favorite story is 'The Tiger Who Came To Tea' because the tiger is lovely and orange...

However, I am the queen of PFB so a pinch of salt may be reqired about this! blush

CardyMow Sun 04-Sep-11 15:18:21

Nope, all my dc had colour preferences by 12mo. DD was lilac - knew by about 10/11mo. DS1 had an obvious colour preference for red by 7mo - and even now at 9yo, it's still his favourite colour! DS2 has always liked blue (knew from about 12/13mo - long before he was verbal due to sn), and even though DS3 is only 7mo, he will always want his orange blankie, rather than his green / blue/ red ones. He likes his Tigger teddy best, and even says ojjjj when he wants his orange blankie (usually when I have given him one in a different colour...).

I think ALL dc have their colour preferences much earlier than we as adults think - it's just that not all of them are able to express their preferences!

pinkgirlythoughts Sun 04-Sep-11 18:43:00

I definitely think my 3-month old's favourite colour is green! He'll always look at a green toy longer than any other coloured ones. He also stares at the tv screen of there's football on- so most of the screen is green!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now