Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about your 6/7yo DD's...

(10 Posts)
DumSpiroSpero Wed 31-Aug-11 10:54:06

...because mine is driving me mad at the moment, and am not sure if it's me or her or (probably) a bit of both.

She is 7 in a few weeks, an only child and looking forward to going back to school with the same teacher as she had last year.

Over the last few months I sometimes feel like I have a teenager, she is whiny, neurotic, answers back, refuses to do as she's told (literally - point blank 'no'), constantly complaining of tummy ache and feeling sick (have been to the Dr so many times have lost count and the only thing they can come up with is constipation - going back next week to insist on a referral to a paediatrician), in spite of which she eats like a horse and rarely complains when she is occupied/with people.

This behaviour isn't all the time to be fair - she's lovely a lot of the time, extremely bright, affectionate and funny, but when she's not she is foul.

We had a lovely day together yesterday. This morning I explained to her when we got up that I had a few important jobs to do and once they were done we'd have the rest of the day to play/do stuff together. She has been moaning and attention seeking virtually all morning, called nana (my mum-who thinks the sun shines of her backside) for a whinge, and chosen possibly the 2 most awkward activities available that she has to keep interrupting me to help with.

I just cannot understand how such an intelligent child cannot get their head around 'if you let me get on, I will be able to give you attention sooner'.

Must be off now to finish chores and give her some attention - will be back later.

Really appreciate any advice (or reassurance that mine is not the only one). FWIW DH thinks I do too much with her, I feel that I don't do enough confused!

DumSpiroSpero Wed 31-Aug-11 12:48:27

bump!

Chaotica Wed 31-Aug-11 21:47:58

Sounds like my 5 year old. And my friend's 6 year old. And another friend's 7 year old. (Don't think you're alone smile)

willugotobed Thu 01-Sep-11 00:22:23

Mine's like this too. It's very frustrating. I work from home and usually have childcare for some of the holidays to work as it's impossible to even read an email or two if she's there. She literally drags my arm off the keyboard.

DumSpiroSpero Thu 01-Sep-11 00:27:30

Thank God it's not just me. We're all term time only in our house son I guess at the end of 6 weeks hols a bit of aggro is to be expected.

She's had me in tears twice in less than a week!

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Thu 01-Sep-11 11:12:07

She sounds a lot like mine at that age, and TBH, currently. Mine is a 10.4 YO only who has been off school for 13 weeks. If any one is ready to go back it is her.
No advice, just hang on in there. My DD shows flashes of absolute hatefullness but mainy she is lovely.
I would add, a bit of benign neglect doesn't hurt. If DD had her way, we'd be playing libraries or schools all day. She has never learned to play alone.

DumSpiroSpero Thu 01-Sep-11 13:15:59

If DD had her way, we'd be playing libraries or schools all day.

That sounds very familiar! I do practise a fair bit of benign neglect (that's what MN's for isn't it? grin, but then probably go a bit ott trying to make up for it.

She doesn't seem to want to do anything by/for herself which is incredibly frustrating. I am also an only & my mum has always been on the over-protective side and done too much for me, which I'll freely admit to having taken advantage of, but I'd really like DD to be a bit more self sufficient in the long run.

Acinonyx Thu 01-Sep-11 19:44:04

I have an only dd of 6 and the answer is to import another 6 yr-old to play or export yours to another for the day. smile

Actually, dd is not so bad these days (but was absolutely suffocating up to about a year ago). I think I have been super-firm about my needing to get things done. I'm an only myself and expect her to be able to entertain herself some of the time (but not all of the time - as I was). I never expect to work with her around though - I think that's unrealistic in the extreme.

I don'y play role-playing games with her. I get other kids to do that. I'm not 6.

ragged Thu 01-Sep-11 19:52:44

I have a 7yo DS like this, too. He is much less so when siblings are around.

MCDL Sat 03-Sep-11 09:59:21

I have dd 5, she can be quite demanding but on the whole lets me get on with things. Find when we are all together in the house, dp, dd and i, things can be more difficult. She is constantly between us and looking for attention. Difficult to have a cuppa and a chat ....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now