Talk

Advanced search

14 month old - awake for HOURS at night!!!

(6 Posts)
lottytheladybird Wed 31-Aug-11 10:49:26

My 14 month old DS is often awake for anything between an hour to three and a half hours at night. This started a few weeks ago. He gets upset unless I put my hand through the cot bars to comfort him. Is this common and do you have any tips on how to get my DS to go back to sleep?

joruth Wed 31-Aug-11 13:38:07

Poor poor you....yes I think it is common...back teeth and a re-emergence of some separation anxiety are common at this age and an emergence or re-emergence of sleep problems is not unusual. To be honest though the comforting is probably perpetuating it....whatever started it will probably have resolved and now it's habit and the fact that he likes mummy being there. You might have to break the habit by controlled crying or controlled comforting...or going cold turkey. You must be exhausted! If you need help with these techniques there's lots of experience and advice on mumsnet or i can reply. Be aware you need to be strong to break the habit...have you another adult to support you whist you address your son's wakefullness??

joruth Wed 31-Aug-11 13:39:53

PS usually sleep problems can be cracked in 3 nights ...they just feel interminable whilst you're doing it...by the way, make sure he is not oversleeping in the day, or sleeping too late in the morning or afternoon.

lottytheladybird Wed 31-Aug-11 16:32:41

Yes, I think it is habit now. It started with a bad bout of teething. I want to break the habit, but don't want to leave my DS to cry in the night, so I wouldn't feel comfortable with controlled crying. Any ideas?

I don't think he's over sleeping during the day. He usually naps from 11am till 1pm.

Luckily, I have a very supportive husband.

thegauntlet Wed 31-Aug-11 21:07:22

Hi ya, just wanted to offer a little support. We have just come out from the other side of this. Our DD is 15 months next week, and we have had a horrible month. One or two nights we were up for 3 or more hours, taking it in turns to get to the end of our tethers before swapping....But... the last 3 nights she has slept through.
We put it down to teeth ( she now has all 4 first molars broken the skin) and the fact that I had to be out at work so she was at home with daddy and all out of routine.
We decided to try to ride it out with controlled crying ( going in every 5 mins or so) but after a while I realised that she got more in a state each time. This sounds terrible but we did just leave her, knowing she had calpol, had eaten and drunk well etc.

I kept going up to check on her through the door crack, as i was worried she would be sick or hurt herself, she DID calm down herself. It took around 90 minutes or more before she went flat on her tummy and slept, and when she woke up we did calpol and ibruprofen and a cuddle before putting her back. I distracted myself by phoning people downstairs as i found it so distressing.
The second night ( I was a bitt scarred) I took her swimming after work so by the time it was bedtime she only protested alittle and was so tired she didnt stay awake that long.

I just wanted to give you a little hug and a big g'n't and to say you can do it! This too will pass!!!

lottytheladybird Thu 01-Sep-11 12:01:45

thegauntlet - Thank you for your support. DS slept through last night - hurrah! However, I fear he's all charged up now, ready for another wakeful night!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now