Talk

Advanced search

Toddler is mean to younger kids

(3 Posts)
dezzashezza Tue 30-Aug-11 21:30:21

My DD is 2.5 years old and has a BIG problem with any toddler younger than her. It doesn't matter if she knows them, or if they're strangers. She WILL NOT share or be civil towards anyone younger than her. She's fine with babies, it's just younger toddlers. Here's an example: At the playpark today she was horrible to one particular 18 month old girl who she didn't know and didn't have any reason to dislike. It's as if she took one look at her and thought "i don't like you". She complained everytime this poor girl went anywhere near the slide. I encouraged her to share, but it was as if she couldn't help herself. She was genuinely upset about this girl being on the slide. I took her out of the situation and encouraged her to get on the swings, but even then she was shouting "it's my turn" from across the park! I just don't know how to tackle it. If we go to a friend's house and there is one child older and one child younger than her, she will be lovely to the older child and horrid to the younger one. It's like living with Jeckyll and Hyde! She doesn't bite or hit, but she is mean to them. She'll offer them a toy with outstretched arms and then when the other child goes to take it, she'll snatch it back and say "mine". Before we go to places I tell her what I expect of her i.e. I want you to share with the other girls and boys and take turns. I tell her very firmly that shouting/not sharing/not taking turns is wrong and I distract her whenever I can. I know this is probably just a phase, but is there anything else I can do? Is there any reassurance anyone can give me that my child won't turn into a bully?!

CharlieBoo Tue 30-Aug-11 21:38:00

Ahhh your dd and mine could be twins!!! My dd is 2.3 and also can be very 'choosy' with her peers! She literally decides first glance whether dye likes them or not. At a park last week there were boy/girl twins 6 months younger. The girl she just could not tolerate, shouted 'no' at her when she tried to do anything and pushed her on more than one occasion. Her twin brother however she adored and was kissing him and mothering him. I hope it's a phase and I just can't take my eyes off the little monkey at the min.

Arion Wed 31-Aug-11 00:27:45

Be thankful it's just not sharing, witnessed the son of a friend (just 3 at the time) push a little girl off the top of a slide because he (and I quote) "didn't like her" shock

Not helping you I know but hopefully make you feel a bit better smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now