Talk

Advanced search

not rolling over at 6 months - any help, advice or encouraging stories ? please help a concerned mum

(27 Posts)
worriermum Tue 30-Aug-11 09:31:58

My best friend's DD is not rolling over at six months. The nurse is concerned, and the mum is wondering what to do. The baby has obviously strong muscle tone (she is sitting well) smiled early and is an utterly engaged and contented little thing. Anyone have any experience of this, or - ideally - encouraging stories to tell ?

Ta in advance.

cazzybabs Tue 30-Aug-11 09:39:36

My daughter didn't roll till she was almost 9 months but walked at nearly 11 months!

missorinoco Tue 30-Aug-11 09:41:28

My daughter rolled once between 4 months and one, but was sitting by 5 months. I don't think she saw the point in rolling. She crawled at about a yer and walked within 2 weeks of it. Aged two she can now run and jump. If she is concerned take the baby to the GP for reassurance though.

worriermum Tue 30-Aug-11 09:47:29

thanks so much - good to hear these.

tortilla Tue 30-Aug-11 09:55:04

My DS rolled once (think it was a fluke!) aged about 3 months and then not again until he was about 10 months old. He was sitting at 5mo, reaching well etc. so no concerns about him physically. Rolled and learnt to get to sitting from his tummy and started to crawl all in the space of about 2 weeks! Some babies are just a bit slow to roll and are never that interested in it: I think some babies are sit and watch babies (like my DS) and they couldn't care less about moving around until they really have to.

ShouldersBackAndNoBiscuits Tue 30-Aug-11 09:55:20

Totally normal. My DD is a roller, my sister's DD is exactly the same age and is not. They are now 9 months, mine is crawling and Dsis's is desperate to stand - no crawling or rolling. If she's sitting and has good tone then the nurse is causing unnecessary concern IMHO!

admylin Tue 30-Aug-11 09:56:17

My ds never rolled or crawled, he walked at 10 months though.

gardenveggies Tue 30-Aug-11 10:11:11

Shouldersback...How do you know if a baby has 'good tone'?

Ophuchi Tue 30-Aug-11 10:35:25

DD, now almost 18 months didn't roll until 11 months or there about iirc. She crawled at about 14 months and walked at 16 months. She's fine, some babies just take a bit longer to get moving. Please don't worry.

worriermum Tue 30-Aug-11 13:26:37

Thanks so much for these very reassuring responses. Am off to relay them to my friend.

sunndydays Tue 30-Aug-11 13:37:38

Seems ridiculous to me that the nurse is worried, FAIK rolling isn't a milestone. Dd didn't do it until she was about nine or ten months. Tell your friend not to worry at all a make the most of the next few weeks until she is mobile!

craftynclothy Tue 30-Aug-11 13:38:53

DD1 never really rolled, crawled at 11.5 months, walked a couple of months after that. She started rolling after she was confident walking.

Emski76 Tue 30-Aug-11 14:13:00

Ds1 never rolled, ds2 hasn't stopped rolling since 4 months old. Don't understand why nurse so concerned, not all babies roll! Especially as baby sitting. Please reassure your friend.

VeryHungryKatypillar Tue 30-Aug-11 15:24:55

DD1 didn't roll until she walked at 17 months. She was a late crawler too. Could sit just before 6 months though. Is now a very active 3 year old that can walk, run, jump, hop and roll! I think the sitting thing is more important developmentally, all sounds to be within normal parameters!

emlu67 Tue 30-Aug-11 15:42:24

DD never rolled or crawled either but sat at about 6 months and was a bottom shuffler. I think the sitting thing is more important as some babies just don't see the point of rolling or crawling so please don't worry. She is 7 now and a very active child.

milkyjo Tue 30-Aug-11 16:41:46

Somebody should have a good talking to that nurse! What kind of nurse is she, is she a Health Visitor? Sitting is more important than rolling. My DS will only roll if I put him on his tummy, immediately he's rolled onto his back with a scream as he HATES his tummy. I don't bother now! He's standing and starting to cruise at nearly 9 months and won't tolerate sitting for long anymore.

ShouldersBackAndNoBiscuits Tue 30-Aug-11 16:44:55

gardenveggies the op mentioned the baby's strong muscle tone above. But if you mean how to you assess it, it's a measure of if the baby is too stiff or floppy IYSWIM.

hildathebuilder Tue 30-Aug-11 16:46:13

My DS has a number of problems, he rolled at 7 weeks, and I was told (By a development paed) that rolling is no indicator whatsoever of any motor skill, it doesn't mean anything one way or another. It certainly is nothing to either worry about or be relieved by.

worriermum Tue 30-Aug-11 16:46:15

Thank you, thank you all again. Not in the UK, so yes, the nurse is the equivalent of a health visitor. Apparently what she said is that rolling is a sign of spatial perception, rather than muscle tone. Any truth to this ? And does it matter at all ?

Rubyabcd Tue 30-Aug-11 17:00:14

My dd didn't roll until she crawled at thirteen months!!

happygilmore Tue 30-Aug-11 19:13:23

Nurse has no clue..

DD rolled once at 4 months, then never again til I think she was about 13 months, after she was crawling! It's not a milestone that is recognised here in the UK, I wouldn't worry at all.

worriermum Tue 30-Aug-11 20:06:19

Very reassuring, thank you

Balsam Tue 30-Aug-11 20:20:14

DS only rolled once he could crawl which was at about 11 months. He's a normal 2 year old now. Rolling means bugger all.

Atomant Wed 31-Aug-11 00:08:37

DD never rolled. She was sitting up at 5.5 months, cruising furniture competently at 7.5 months, walked at 11 months and now aged 2 shouts "rolly polly mummy!" and proceeds to roll top speed across the room smile

I was very worried at the time with hindsight, I wish I hadn't wasted the time worrying...

Lozario Wed 31-Aug-11 09:40:10

My LO is 5 months and not rolling - but a very content little baby, she just loves to watch the world around her, especially her older brother. I think sometimes, then they are so content (as you say your friend's baby is), they just don't feel the incentive to get going as quickly! Tell her to make the most of it - my now 2.2 yr old rolled early and he hasn't stopped moving since - I'm exhausted!! ;-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now