Talk

Advanced search

When did your non sleep trained baby sleep through?

(38 Posts)
choceyes Tue 30-Aug-11 09:28:40

My 12.5 month old DD wakes up about twice in the night (between 8pm-7am) and I feed her and she goes back to sleep. I BF and co-sleep, so it is only a matter of latching her on and getting back to sleep for me, so it's not so bad really, rarely do I feel sleep deprived.
Although would be nice if she did sleep through obviously grin, but CC and CIO is not for us. Planning on following the no-cry-sleep solution if it gets to the point where I am not getting any sleep.

Just wondering what the norm is for babies to sleep through? Just out of curiosity?

My DS is a rubbish sleeper at nearly 3 (and DD is already heaps better than he was/is), so my expectation are pretty low!

DrewsGirl Tue 30-Aug-11 09:36:00

My DS slept through at 8 weeks with no sleep training as such. All i found was to get a good night time routine, i started a routine and it took 2 weeks to get 12hours - broken - sleep (Just no feeds). Last feed, then a bath, then into the dim bedroom to get into pjs, bedtime story and put him down, i never left him to cry would just pick him up or shush him whatever he needed then put him back down.

If you are co sleeping that is probably making it harder as milk is on tap, after he had slept through-ish for about a month we put him in his own room and he slept brilliantly, i believe it is true that the smell of brestmilk makes them want it. I dont bf any more but if we are away from home and we have to share a room he doesnt sleep in with us well at all.

DrewsGirl Tue 30-Aug-11 09:37:15

He is now 11month BTW and it is now that sleeping in the room with us wakes him up, hes used to his quiet room and us coming in later, making noise and such disturbs him.

BikeRunSki Tue 30-Aug-11 09:38:24

at 9 weeks, 11pm-5.30pm
at 12 months 7pm-7am

mrsravelstein Tue 30-Aug-11 09:38:38

ds1 - co slept from day 1, stopped night feeds at around 9 months, he slept through til about 5am from 12 months.

ds2 - didn't co sleep, stopped night feeds at 12 months, he slept through til 5am by 13 months

dd - didn't co sleep, stopped night feeds at 9 months, she's now 19 months and sleeps through til 5am about once a week, usually she's up around 3am and then comes into bed with me and falls back to sleep.

levantine Tue 30-Aug-11 09:40:15

3 3/4

Am hoping to do better with my second one but it's not going that well so far

bigbadbarry Tue 30-Aug-11 09:41:57

Ha. DD1: 21 months. DD2: 2 1/2. DD3 is 20 months and nowhere near yet...

Catslikehats Tue 30-Aug-11 09:43:36

DC1 7pm - 7am @ 14 wks (EBF)

DC2 didn't sleep through until he was at least 2 (FF post 6 weeks)

DC4 7pm - midnight feed then through to 7am (EBF)

Conclusion there is nothing you can do they are the way they are!

Catslikehats Tue 30-Aug-11 09:44:02

Argh should have sadi DC4 is now 6mths.

Momo36 Tue 30-Aug-11 09:47:08

5 months - DD was breastfed till 7 months but in her own room, never slept with us in the bed.

olibeansmummy Tue 30-Aug-11 09:47:14

Erm... Ds is 2.3 and we're still waiting...

choceyes Tue 30-Aug-11 11:07:42

wow it is so variable isn't it. Just goes to show how every baby is so different when it comes to sleep. I'm not sleep deprived but I am tired a lot though, so maybe even the couple of times a night being woken up does take a toll somehow.

banana87 Tue 30-Aug-11 11:11:48

7 months. I think we were REALLY lucky.

duchesse Tue 30-Aug-11 11:11:59

Around 18m to 2 for all 4 of them.

Cheria Tue 30-Aug-11 11:14:21

Haven't used any technique but my baby slikes her sleep. She started sleeping through from about 11 to 5 at 10 weeks. Now at 5 months she sleeps through from 9.30 to about 7.30, plus two big naps during the day. She hasn't woken us up during our sleeping hours since she was about 14 weeks old.

Apparently DH was a big sleeper, and there's nothing I love more than sleeping, so I guess there might be some genetics in there.

BertieBotts Tue 30-Aug-11 11:18:43

At 7 weeks 11-7, this lasted until the 4 month sleep regression and then he finally slept through 12 hours at about 2.5!

I think its usually about working out how the night wakings will least disturb you rather than how to eliminate them. DS didn't sleep that well when we first put him into a bed, but I got him to come into our room rather than me having to get up to him.

heather1980 Tue 30-Aug-11 11:21:19

dd slept though at 4 months
ds1 was about 2ish and he's nearly 3 and still has the odd night every now and then
ds2 is 1 next week and just started sleeping through about 2 weeks ago

FreakoidOrganisoid Tue 30-Aug-11 11:26:32

Both dc were 2yo

Lainey1981 Tue 30-Aug-11 15:55:45

At 10 weeks we had 9-7am
Around 6.5/7 months 7.30-7
Ds is now just 9 months and we get 11 hrs a night, plus usually 2 naps in the day.
If he is ill or teething of course all goes to pot for a few days. Occasionally he will cry in his sleep and need his dummy or to be tucked in.
I think we were v lucky as no routine was followed.

Cosmosis Tue 30-Aug-11 17:24:06

He was 9m the first time he did it – he’s now almost 12m (next week) and has done it about 6 or 7 times.

We’ve not “sleep trained” but we have been gently encouraging him to learn to self settle.

Balsam Tue 30-Aug-11 20:24:52

Mine both did their 12 hours (7-7) from five months old. Mostly luck really, no particular technique other than to be completely consistent every night.

My advice would be, given her age, to get her in her own room and no more night feeds. (But then mine were in their own room at 6 weeks which some people would be horrified at!)

mousesma Tue 30-Aug-11 20:32:19

DD slept from 7-4 from about 6 months then from 7-5 from about 9 months.
Since 12 months she has occasionally managed 7-6 but still mostly sleeps from 7-5.

Although she mostly sleeps through she still has days where she'll wake for a night feed especially is she's teething or poorly.

We have never sleep trained apart from 3 days where we tried CC which only made her be terrified of going to bed. Took us about a week to get her to trust us again sad

strawberrie Tue 30-Aug-11 20:42:05

At 11 weeks she slept 11pm-6am ish which was all fine and dandy until about 5 months when it all went to pot a bit.

She dropped the last feed (tended to be 3/4 am) aged 10 months, and it happened within 2 weeks of stopping BF. We stopped BF a bit abruptly after she had a stay in hospital which involved a feeding tube etc; I've never been sure whether it was the end of BF which made her sleep through, or the fact that I didn't stay overnight at the hospital for the last 3 nights of her stay and so she probably was left to cry a bit if she woke during the night.

mo3d Tue 30-Aug-11 20:46:41

DD1 slept through at 5.5 months (with dummy).
DD2 slept through 7 weeks (she sucked her thumb).
DD3 slept through 6 months (with dummy).

I breastfed all of them til 10 months and they all slept in my room til 6 months.

Greythorne Tue 30-Aug-11 20:52:04

Dd1 slept 6 hours at 10 months

Dd2 slept 6 hours at 2.2 years

Don't worry too much about it if you can. Eventually, they will sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now