Talk

Advanced search

2.5 yr old bedtime problems

(12 Posts)
LUCIA22 Sun 28-Aug-11 20:46:45

My Ds is 2.5 and won't go to bed. He doesn't cry, just keeps climbing out, jumping up and down etc. Have tried everything to make sure he is tired but will stay awake for hours given the opportunity. Do a bedtime routine with stories in the bedroom, milk etc but when it comes to going to sleep he becomes hyperactive! He shares a room with dd 4yrs, which is causing a problem as it is disrupting her going to sleep and with her starting school in two weeks I feel we really need to get it sorted. Anyone had similar problems?

MegBusset Sun 28-Aug-11 20:49:52

Does he still nap in the day?

LUCIA22 Sun 28-Aug-11 21:29:18

No, put a stop to that as soon as this started as he just doesn't seem to need it. He will sometimes fall asleep in the car or the buggy and if its late in the day we know it's going to be even harder that night. Did take note when Jo Frost commented that at his age they do still need naps otherwise they get overtired. He napped in the car today for half an hour at 1pm but still didn't want to go to sleep at 7.30pm, eventually fell asleep at 8.30.

MummyNic Tue 30-Aug-11 12:32:27

Having similar issues.. Our 2.9 year old was playing up at bedtime (found out that a plaster was often what was needed - 'mummy, I bang my leg / head, toe). At the time he was having a 2 hr nap and also had severe gastroenteritis...
Probs continued so cut out nap - he's going to bed reasonably ok now (only 10 mins of 'more milk', 'cuddle' & 'plaster). But now he's coimg into our room in the small hrs and sleeps inbetween us - wakes at 5!!! ARGH

My current plan is to try & get him to nap for 30 - 45 mins (in the car or his bed - I care not!).
If I can get him back to bed in the middle of the night he tends to sleep until 6 / 6:30 but I don't feel he's getting enough sleep. The midnight jaunt into our bed also started when he was ill (and boy was he ill) - so we didn't have the heart to turn him away.

Haven't got a solution just yet... Might buy 'No cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers'....

LUCIA22 Tue 30-Aug-11 21:05:32

My Ds also comes into our bed in the early hours usually 5ish, sometimes earlier. He usually goes to sleep between us pretty quickly and can sleep till 7.30. Can't face trying to stop that at the moment, would rather concentrate on getting him to bed at a reasonable time. Mummynic, what time do you try to put him to bed. I am starting stories at about 7.30 which can take half an hour. I wonder if I should be starting later. Tonight Ds really wanted me to get into bed with him and cried and pulled at me for ages, he was tired at finally gave up at 9pm.

MummyNic Thu 08-Sep-11 21:30:31

Hi, we seem to be winning.. The lack of nap seemed to be too much and DS was overtired, have introduced a 45 min nap (max) and he's asleep by 7:30 (lights out by 7:10) and he's slept through until 6 / 6:30. Doubt it'll ever be later than that now tbh.
Wouldn't go for a later bedtime imo, maybe you should bring it forward?... Good luck grin

Tgger Thu 08-Sep-11 22:12:23

My DD is 3 in November. She sleeps 7-7 each night and doesn't really nap, sometimes in the car and just started back at nursery and sleeps there!! (having had no naps all summer at home, grrrrrr!). Quite pleased she does nap there though as it is more tiring there.

I would say do bedtime earlier rather than later. They can seem "not tired" but actually what you are getting is "hyper-tired" behaviour.

With my two (DS is 4, nearly 5), we do bath at 6, stories at 6.30 and bedtime is 6.45. There is a bit of flexibility but basically they are both asleep by 7 each night, every night.

I don't want to sound smug as DD was a notoriously bad sleeper as a baby. We had to work really hard to get her sleeping better but is was really worth it. She had it cracked by about 15 months but I reckon sleep can go "wrong" at any age and then it's a question of very clear boundaries and routine.

Good luck!

Tgger Thu 08-Sep-11 22:14:12

Oh yes, half an hour sounds very long for stories! We have 2 stories, and they go down to one story if they misbehave between bath and bed!

sneakybeak Thu 08-Sep-11 22:19:24

We go through phases of trouble at bedtime. I have adopted a supernanny approach...'it's bedtime now', put back in bed and leave. Last night it just went on and on. It took everything in me not to lose my temper. Tonight no messing, asleep by 7. Same child, very different day!

Tgger Thu 08-Sep-11 22:22:26

Well done sneakybeak! It's hard work and can feel tough at the time, but it works!

maeluka Fri 09-Sep-11 07:01:30

My 2.4yr goes down well and then he wakes about 4 times a night - for no particular reason, just shouting from me. Its becoming a nightmare, its like having a little baby again. I havent changed his routine - bath at 6 then stories and milk then bed for 7.. Is this a phase?

LUCIA22 Mon 12-Sep-11 20:43:59

I think like tgger says it can go wrong at any time.!It's like they reach a stage where they just start to test the boundaries. I know it's easier said than done and I cant always manage it but it's best to stick to your guns and let them see that you are not going to give in. Not the easiest thing to do in the middle of the night.
We have got stricter with bedtime and it seems to be paying off. Ds does seem to settle much quicker and be asleep often by 7.30pm. He has hot chicken pox at the so hope it doesnt mess it up.As he is ill he did have a nap today and was on bed by 7 and asleep within about 10 mins. He does still get up in the night and come into our bed though. Will have to tackle that next!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now