Talk

Advanced search

Neurotic that my 9 month shows no interest in crawling - could he be hypermobile?

(12 Posts)
chestert Sun 28-Aug-11 13:42:13

My nearly 9 months DS rolls everywhere and can sit unaided for hours. I can also pull him to standing and he'll weight bear well - me just holding him with one finger.

But he shows NOOOOOOO interest in crawling at all. Nor bum shuffling etc. If he can't reach a toy, he'll just get over it.

We went to a wedding this weekend and all the other 9 month old babies were all over the place - I know not to compare, but it was hard.

I was diagnosed as hypermobile during pregnancy. I never knew - it never gave me problems (until post partum, but even that's passed).

Could he be hypermobile? He seems quite strong, I think.

Or am I just looking for reasons to feed my neurosis?

I'm just really worried he's not showing any interest.

EBDteacher Sun 28-Aug-11 14:31:53

My DS didn't crawl or bumshuffle until the last week of his 9th month, then spent a week getting the idea and was then pretty much a demon crawler overnight.

Loads of folk will come along to tell you not to worry. I don't think 9 months is late not to be crawling. Is your DS big? Mine is a wopper and I think he is sometimes held back because every time he has a grow it takes a while to get his strength:weight ratio back. I think he's having problems now getting his balance to walk (12mo) because he is very tall and his center of gravity is high.

Does your DS get to spend time with other crawlers/ mobile babies much? I think being with older babies at his CM's encouraged my DS. I think he might still be sat in one spot now if he hadn't have been so interested in following them around!

Georgimama Sun 28-Aug-11 14:33:38

I don't even know what hypermobile means. Some babies never crawl. Nine months is nothing - DS was barely sitting unaided at that age but was walking independently at 14 months. You are in your own words neurotic about this. Chill.

FairyArmadillo Sun 28-Aug-11 14:37:58

Please don't worry. My friend has two grown up kids. One bypassed crawling, pulled themselves up and walked at about 9 months. His sister didn't walk till 15months and the sister went on to have a son who did similar. The sister's son didn't crawl till he was about 1. They're all fine.

chestert Sun 28-Aug-11 14:54:27

Yes, Georgimama I know I should chill blush

I just can't help worrying.

No, EBD Teacher, he's not particularly big

Possibly a bit lazy!

CMOTdibbler Sun 28-Aug-11 14:59:46

ds didn't crawl till a week before he was 1. He could cruise round furniture before that, but never bumshuffled or rolled to things.
He was fine, and the hv was never bothered

CakeMonster100 Sun 28-Aug-11 15:11:04

You have my sympathies. I was worried when my son showed absolutly no interest in crawling although I'd take him to my friend's homes where their little ones would all be on the go! But... I reasoned that he could do other things better than they could. I also spoke to the health visitor and they said that they don't start worrying until they are 18 months and still not moving about.

My son didn't start crawling until nearly a year and then it was only for a short while before he started walking. I wouldn't worry just yet, and enjoy the time left when you can put him down and leave him and know that he won't get into any trouble! Once he works out how many more exciting things he can reach when he starts moving about you'll be relieved that you had a couple of extra months where you didn't have to worry about hiding everything!

Chundle Sun 28-Aug-11 16:57:09

Dd crawled at 11 months and could cruise first!

backpassage Sun 28-Aug-11 18:10:58

My ds didn't crawl until 14 months but was on his feet and taking first steps well before 1. They all do things differently. My ds has very 'bendy' joints and definitely something funny about the strength in his limb attachments (although normal muscle strength) but it's never caused him any problems and so we've never worried about it. 6 now and fine motorically.

SharkSkinThing Sun 28-Aug-11 18:21:25

Just to add the same - don't worry! My DS didn't crawl until 10.5 months, and at 13 months is a capable cruiser but walking is still a way off yet, I reckon.

Enjoy the static-ness for now!!

TheGhostNotMe Sun 28-Aug-11 18:27:14

I honestly wouldnt worry.

My DS is hypermobile. It was obvious from a very young age - he had no core stability to be able to roll (he only managed it once or twice at 6m, then he needed physio before he could constantly do it) and he wouldnt weight bear at all. He didnt crawl, he bum shuffled and not until he was a year or so.

DS1 isnt hypermobile and he started crawling about 10m, walking at 13m.

Rubyabcd Sun 28-Aug-11 20:24:42

dd didn't crawl untill thirteen months, now fourteen months pulling up on everything and cruising!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now