Talk

Advanced search

When does speech and language delay become speech and language disorder?

(7 Posts)
VeraCanSignChocolateAndWine Sat 27-Aug-11 17:49:45

I'm just wondering if anyone knows when it changes from being classed as a s&k delay and is classed as a s&l disorder?

Chundle Sat 27-Aug-11 18:18:44

I'm unsure my dd has a delay she's just turned 2. They suspect verbal dyspraxia but said too young to dx so just a delay for now. Perhaps post on special needs section x

ragged Sat 27-Aug-11 18:21:23

You'll need a SALT to have a quality answer; my impression is that language disorder is quite systematic or at any rate, consistent in the language mistakes. Whereas a Delay is more about not getting the sounds of speech right, and maybe because sounds are hard to produce words come out in a wrong order, but this problem is not consistent.

I also suspect it's quite difficult to diagnose LDisorder in children under 5yo or so. But am not an expert!

BlueArmyGirl Sat 27-Aug-11 18:51:18

When langugae is delayed it follows typical patterns of development just more slowly, when it is disordered it doesn't. There's a bit more to it but that's a basic distinction.

lingle Sat 27-Aug-11 19:01:28

I think it's what BlueArmyGirl said.

cat64 Sat 27-Aug-11 19:13:38

Message withdrawn

VeraCanSignChocolateAndWine Sat 27-Aug-11 20:25:18

Thankyou for your replies. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now