Talk

Advanced search

2yo hands in nappy/knickers

(4 Posts)
belindarose Fri 26-Aug-11 21:40:33

I'm sure this is common, if not universal, but any tips on how to deal with this other than fairly frequent washing of hands?

DD just turned two and is toilet training. Clearly much more aware of her body all of a sudden and has easier access too. I haven't found it a problem, but just back from a holiday with in laws who commented every time and told her how dirty it was etc, with added extra rubbish about her hands dropping off and so on (she now checks to make sure they haven't fallen off, or says 'oh look mummy, my hands are not fallen off yet'. Oh so helpful!).

Anyway, I'm ignoring or redirecting, washing hands regularly, reminding about potty/ loo and making sure she's not tired (seems like a comfort thing - same hand always used to be down my top. Needless to say, granny didn't like that either!). Any suggestions?

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Sat 27-Aug-11 11:35:45

Leave her to get on with it and stop washing her hands so much.
My DD is 10.4 and loves having a feel of her fanjo, she doesn't rub it or play with it in anyway, she just likes to cup her vulva. As long as she isn't doing it on the bus, I am not bothered.

motherinferior Sat 27-Aug-11 11:39:17

Why is it 'dirty'?

Octaviapink Sat 27-Aug-11 12:24:28

Your in-laws should have their mouths washed out with **ing soap! It's attitudes like that that give people issues with their bodies. It's perfectly normal, perfectly healthy, you don't have to wash her hands (even if she's putting them in her mouth - they're her germs, after all). Just tell her that it's not something you do in the dining room/ living room/ garden - it's a bedroom thing, like sleeping. My 2.3 yo was having a poke about this morning and then remembered and took her hands away and said "no fiddling with foof in dining room"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now