Talk

Advanced search

crying, or just vocalising? how to tell?

(4 Posts)
autumnberry Fri 26-Aug-11 18:44:18

My baby is 20 weeks old and is increasingly 'vocal'. I am finding this a bit distressing and looking for a bit of moral support. My baby, who has been relatively clam and peaceful will now make a lot of noise when engaged with certain toys. I feel like he is on the edge of becoming distressed, and yet my partner and both sets of grandparents are telling me that he is fine and just expressing his voice and that I am over-reacting. I feel a lot happier in taking said toy away from him when I feel he has had enough and then letting him have a bit of quiet time. I am I would be grateful for any thoughts from other mothers out there. Is it just a case of me not being assertive enough when under pressure? Or am I actually interfering in his exploration and learning by taking the toy away? Thanks for your help smile

thisisyesterday Fri 26-Aug-11 18:48:07

if he is just being noisy then i would let him be.
he'll let you know if he's upset...

Iggly Fri 26-Aug-11 20:45:04

Are these toys he can get away from or is he stuck (e'g) in one of those seated things? You as his mum will have a better idea and if you can hear distress you're likely to be right.

DS didn't play with toys for very long at that age - but we rarely used playgyms - mainly on the floor with toys around him so easy for him to escape (by looking away or rolling).

moonstorm Fri 26-Aug-11 21:52:40

Rightly or wrongly I listen to the voice inside - if his 'noise' is getting me upset/ bothers me, I act on it. Sometimes I don't notice so much, so he continues.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now