Talk

Advanced search

19 months and still not talking

(2 Posts)
EllisT Thu 25-Aug-11 21:14:48

I have a 19 month old who seems to have no interest in talking. He's a very active boy who communicates by pointing, grunting and now pulls me to my feet and guides me to where he wants to go - kitchen, bed etc! He understands me and does things I ask him to, laughs, giggles and joins in with things, he just won't talk.

I'm not sure at what point I should start being concerned. He has an older brother who started at least saying mama and dada at around 14 months. I know all children are different and I keep reminding myself that it will come with time, but as time goes on I'm getting a bit concerned. He also dribbles a lot - could the 2 be related?

As he is still relatively young am I worrying unncessarily, should I mention it to the doctor now, or wait until he's closer to 2 years?

BlueArmyGirl Thu 25-Aug-11 21:17:40

It's worth keeping and eye on and trying out a few things. If no change a bit closer to age 2 defo see HV or GP for SALT referral. You could always see HV now to explore/rule out any issues with hearing - the two often, though not always, go hand in hand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now