Talk

Advanced search

Shape sorter - how old?

(11 Posts)
ellesabe Thu 25-Aug-11 10:09:07

I found an absolutely bargainous shape sorter in a charity shop yesterday so I bought it, remembering that lots of people have recommended these as a developmental toy. My question is... when will she actually be able to post the shapes into the box rather than chewing/waving/banging them together (which is what she currently does age 9mo)?

herbaceous Thu 25-Aug-11 11:46:24

i think my DS started posted the shapes in about 18 months, after eons of looking like he'd never figure it out. He just suddenly did it one day, as if he was an expert. Now he's just two, he seems to find it beneath him, and sweeps it to one side. So, the window's quite small!

ragged Thu 25-Aug-11 11:52:29

Perfect from 18-30 months (for 3 of mine).
More like from 2.5-3.5yo for DC4 (thicko wink).

StrandedBear Thu 25-Aug-11 12:02:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BeeMyBaby Thu 25-Aug-11 13:31:09

DD is almost 19 months and always gets the circle right but needs help for the others.

Tee2072 Thu 25-Aug-11 13:54:32

I think my son first 'got' it at around 22 months. Now he does it with confidence at 26 months, and that includes picking the right side, as it's a cube thing.

EasyFriedRice Thu 25-Aug-11 15:39:28

My DD is 20 months and doesn't get it at all, not even with a jigsaw one. sad

Davsmum Thu 25-Aug-11 15:56:38

All children can do this at different ages,.. Try not to compare when your DD can do it with when others do.
My nephew could do this by the time he was 12mths old ( he was walking at 9 months) although I think he struggled with the star shape until he was 18 months old but my daughter was about 18 months old, and my son was probably 20 mths old.

smearedinfood Thu 25-Aug-11 16:38:52

Same as Davsmum, the little mimics will give it a go given half a chance. He saw his uncle playing with it then two hours later he was trying to figure out what uncle did with the shape sorter at 11 months. Tee hee

pettyprudence Thu 25-Aug-11 19:55:09

I saw a 12 month old girl pick up a shape sorter, look at it, look at the shapes, and she saw that the shapes needed to go in the box, so she pulled off the lid and put them all directly in the box. I thought that was brilliant, analytical thinking! grin

MayDayChild Thu 25-Aug-11 20:03:07

DS 14m can do circles and has been for about a month. He absolutely gets it and tries all the others but I have to turn the sorter a bit for him on all shapes bar round and hexagon !?!
Plus ours is a ball sorter (asda me thinks) and he loooves balls so maybe that's what piqued his interest.
But get it out once a week or so and bang along with her for now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now