Talk

Advanced search

How much mobility is 'normal' in a 7mo?

(12 Posts)
CardyMow Wed 24-Aug-11 12:02:37

It's hard for me to know, DD was late in meeting all milestones, didn't support own head till 7mo, etc, due to her SN. DS1 was walking at 7.5mo ( incredibly early, I think), DS2 didn't crawl till he was 2.7yo due to SN.

Sooooo....what is 'normal'? DS3 rolled over for the first time at 11 weeks old, has been crawling since 17 weeks old, is sitting, and is now trying to pull himself up on the sofa and TV unit.

Also, he is 'into everything' in a way my older dc never were, touching things, pulling handles off cupboards, tearing anything he can get his hands on (which is an amazing amount!). I've never had to 'babyproof' my home before, and with the lack of space money and storage here, there just ISN'T anywhere else I can put things. I find I am constantly moving stuff, gluing furniture back together etc.

What is normal, and how can I teach him NOT to touch things? All my other dc got moved away from things once or twice then got the message - he goes to things he KNOWS he shouldn't, and touches them while GRINNING at me <<Cheeky monkey>>. He has broken the front of my speakers, which I can't wall mount as not allowed to drill into walls (renting)

HELP!

StrandedBear Wed 24-Aug-11 12:51:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadyFlumpalot Wed 24-Aug-11 12:52:38

Oh crikes, I have been asking this myself. DS is 8 months tomorrow and can sit by himself (doesn't like to, much prefers to stand) and walk with help. However, he cannot crawl, cannot pull himself up and will not have "tummy time". All the other babies at group are crawling like pros!

Is it normal to skip crawling completely and just go straight to walking?

freybean Fri 26-Aug-11 12:09:36

lady yep babies can skip the crawling stage

hazeyjane Fri 26-Aug-11 12:34:43

Can you get something like this and divide off a corner of the room and either a) put ds in there with all his toys or b) put all the stuff you really don't want to get trashed in there.

With dd1 we had a babydan one, we lived in a mobile home, and divided up the lounge so that all the wires, computer, tv etc were one side were one side and the rest of the room was dd1s. She was into everything!

An0therName Fri 26-Aug-11 12:54:08

quite normal I am afraid - it took ages for my active boys to learn no - we put away our stero - cupboard locks on everything - loads of things up high - and borrowed a baby dan for a bit
LadyFlumpalot - not un common to skip crawling although he would I think need to able to pull himself up to walk by himself

matana Fri 26-Aug-11 15:31:41

My 9 mo DS understands no, he just wilfully ignores it so we physically have to remove him from what he's doing most of the time and occupy him with something else. Toys just bore him, he instantly makes a beeline for anything that's out of bounds. I had thought our house was quite baby proof until he started crawling. He's only been crawling properly for a couple of weeks and is now beginning to cruise, although he's always preferred to be up on his feet. He sat up unaided at 7.5 months which i think is considered quite late? Everything else he's pretty much done at the average age i think, but i think he'll walk early.

mousesma Fri 26-Aug-11 15:49:15

My DD also is into everything and all you can do is keep saying no and moving. She also looks at me and smiles before she touches anything she knows she shouldn't be touching. Quite often she'll stop touching something when I say no then pretend to be interested in something else before making a lunge for the forbidden object again smile
Even now at 13 months she needs to be told 5 or 6 times before she'll stop touching something.

CardyMow Fri 26-Aug-11 17:41:25

There's actually not enough ROOM in my front room to FIT that! We only have 2.5 feet between the chairs on one side of the room and the chairs on the other side (very small house waiting for a larger council house). I can't even fit a travel cot in or the other dc can't get past! (I used a travel cot as a playpen with DS1 when he first was 'touchy'). How do I put things up high when we aren't allowed to put shelves up? All my furniture is 'cruising' height!

hazeyjane Fri 26-Aug-11 18:07:34

You don't have to use it as a playpen, as I say we used it in a mobile home (which was pretty tiny!), you can open it up and use it like a fence.

Phewsers Sat 27-Aug-11 19:57:20

I think there is a very wide range of normal, but my son didn't crawl until 11 months, and is not walking yet at 15. My friend's baby walked at 9 months though!

Gincognito Sat 27-Aug-11 21:15:42

Lady, my 10mo isn't crawling yet either, although his peers all are. Not worried though, he's fine - just very fat because he's not yet moving around enough to burn all the energy off grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now