Talk

Advanced search

Clingy newborn

(8 Posts)
Gemd81 Wed 24-Aug-11 10:22:44

Does anyone know what age newborns stop wanting to be held constantly. I have 4 wk old that wont be put down all day and wants to sleep with us in the bed at night? When should I try an start routine and how?

chimchar Wed 24-Aug-11 10:27:45

you sound frazzled!

i hate routines for small babies, so won't advise on that, but thought id suggest trying a sling orr a carrier to you.

there are loads of wrap type carriers that are perfect for tiny babies and will hold them close, and tight, and will leave you hands free to potter on with other stuff.

what about swaddling when you put your baby down? have you tried that?

chin up, and remember "this too shall pass" x

Esian Wed 24-Aug-11 10:34:39

The best thing to do is to try and enjoy it. I know that sounds trite but honestly this newborn stage passes oh so quickly. Snuggle up as much as you can while the baby still wants to. Get nice food in, some good books and something to watch on tv and then stay on the couch for the next few weeks grin

evilkensmum Wed 24-Aug-11 10:59:25

My dd was just like this, but at around 10 weeks she started tolerating being held by other people, and even being put down occasionally. She is nearly 17 weeks now and is currently napping upstairs in her cot (which is a bedside one as we co-sleep anyway) which I though would never happen! I never tried to get her into a routine, but she found her own and it was much easier and less stressful than trying to force one on her.

At the time I thought I would go insane from holding her constantly, but we bought a sling which meant I could actually get things done and see to my other 2 children and it really is such a short space of time in the grand scheme of things.

Toobluntforboss Wed 24-Aug-11 11:03:20

Agree with esian - try to enjoy it as it really doesn't last long and unless there is something urgent which must be done just sit back and cuddle your baby! It only lasts until around 10-12 weeks and then you're able to put them down more.

JoinTheDots Wed 24-Aug-11 11:03:22

I remember it being better at 8 weeks, and a whole different world by 12 weeks

I know that seems like forever away but I second those above, its over before you know it, so try to love the snuggles. Put a box set on, get some biscuits, buy a sling and stare lovingly at the little one while the doze on you.

ChablisorSancerre Wed 24-Aug-11 15:49:26

I have to say that I have a regret about when my DS was tiny in that I thought I could just get on with doing housework, looking after toddler DD etc... He needed so much more contact than what I seemed "prepared" to give. Slight PND too didn't help.

Anyway I do wish that I had just sat and cuddled with him- watched TV, read a book, just enjoyed him really sad.

All is well now though (kind of as he is 2.5!!!)

Gemd81 Wed 24-Aug-11 21:01:23

Thank you all so much this is so reassuring
grin feel much better now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now