Talk

Advanced search

Night of hell after moving to big boy bed - please tell me it gets better.........

(4 Posts)
BambinoBoo Tue 23-Aug-11 12:56:09

After we caught DS 2.9 climbing out of his cot on Monday morning, we decided to change his cot to a bed last night - not ideal on a Monday but didn't want to risk a fall. After involving DS in putting it up, picking out his duvet cover etc, he just wouldn't go in it, but did settle after a couple of hours - which we expected as much on the first night.

Then at 1am he woke up and that was it for most of the night. I went in to try and settle him but he would not go in the bed again. At 4-ish am I finally gave in, pulled down the sofa bed (which handily is in his room) and he agreed to lay there with me but didn't seem tired at all. After a while, and lots of singing, he finally went to sleep. He was up at 6.30 full of beans. I feel like I gave in far too easily and am dreading tonight. Any tips?

Many thanks.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Tue 23-Aug-11 16:17:02

When I clicked on this, I was going to suggest the speicial duvet cover and toys, but you 've got that covered.
Do you think he is scared of falling out? When DD moved to a bed, we put the mattress on the floor initially (PFB much), when it became inconvenient, I got her a bed side so she felt more secure.

BambinoBoo Tue 23-Aug-11 16:35:07

Thanks Rips. I don't think he is frightened of falling as he's quite a boisterous little boy and loves climbing, jumping off things etc. I've been thinking about it today and I think that beacuse he has always worn grobags, perhaps the freedom of no grobag, no bars has freaked him out a bit. It's much cooler today so I might put him in a fleece all in one tonight and let him lay outside of the covers so he feels more enclosed if that makes sense. Oh, and re the mattress on the floor, if that's PFB, then guilty as charged blush grin

Iggly Tue 23-Aug-11 20:08:50

We moved DS to a bed recently. He also was used to grobags but we switched to blankets. Which he didn't like. First night he kept falling out onto the mattress on the floor.

In the end we got some foam bed guards which stopped him rolling out of bed and he sleeps through the night again. Bedtime itself is still a bit hairy but getting better.

He doesn't like the covers though so keep him in warm bed clothes instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now