Talk

Advanced search

Is there anything I can do to stop this behaviour?

(6 Posts)
TheRealMBJ Tue 23-Aug-11 08:37:39

DS is 20 months old and in the last couple of months has developed a habit of sticking his hands down his nappy and pulling his penis out over the top. As I don't want to make a big deal of it from either a potty-ing or a body consciousness thing I have just been ignoring it but it is starting to drive me insane as he then wees and wets his trousers (and sometimes shirt) necessitating a change of clothes. Often more than twice a day.

Any idea how I can gently discourage this behaviour or is it just something that he'll grow out of?

An0therName Tue 23-Aug-11 08:58:37

my 18 month old does it a bit and its a really pain - often put him in dungarees or vests with poppers so he can't get them and then if he does have access we just contantly say to him "hands out your nappy" which he does understand and acts on - doesn't stop him doing it 5 minitutes later mind..
And we have a change of clothes at least once a daywhat ever but that because my DS is a muck magnet

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Tue 23-Aug-11 10:12:07

hi mbj. smile
Is there a long gap between him doing it and the weeing? Ds plays with his willy when he needs a wee. We do past time ec so i offer him a potty if i see him playing with it (he has a lot of nappy free time where we encourage him to use the potty...we have hard floors wink ) He is (as you know) 18m. Maybe your ds has a growing awareness of his bladder functions and is responding to this. smile

TheRealMBJ Tue 23-Aug-11 12:29:31

It. Is a bit random tbh. Sometimes, yes it is when he wants a wee but at other times, it is just a fiddle. Can't do much nappy free time as he does love to wee all over my carpets. But I think I will start offering the potty when I notice him fiddling.

BeeBopBunny Tue 23-Aug-11 13:52:07

Hmmm, glad I've got a girl!

cottonreels Tue 23-Aug-11 20:48:35

Have a girl too, but we have plenty of "nappy off" time by putting those colourful insulated mats down (usually they have the alphabet or numbers on). Saves the carpets as theyre wipe clean.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now