Talk

Advanced search

Help!Need a good stair gate for awkward stairs!

(7 Posts)
misschristmas86 Mon 22-Aug-11 18:55:05

Hi all
This is my first post!
Please please please could I get some help on choosing a stair gate. We have a 1 year old who has just learnt how to climb up the stairs..obviously I don't let him do it, but I feel that I need to get a stair gate in case he manages to slip past me!
The only problem is that our banisters are not spindles,they are several long strips of wood, and they are not solid so we can't fit a normal stair gate to them (it bends the banisters).
My Mum recommended an old fashioned stair gate that fastens to the wall itself and just latches (like a garden gate does) to the side of the stairs.
Has anyone used something like this and or could someone help me find something that would work?Bit worried about it!
Thanks smile

Paschaelina Tue 23-Aug-11 11:49:26

Can you put the gate back from the stairs in the hallway instead? You can get wider gate options to accommodate:

retractable safety gate which goes to 130cm

room divider which can be made to fit all sorts of odd opening sizes.

misschristmas86 Sun 28-Aug-11 10:20:18

Will try that, will save me some money, thanks very much!

twoofus Tue 30-Aug-11 23:30:55

had to write as ive had exactly the same problem, managed to get a gate from kiddicare.com which does exactly as you say, attached to the wall one side with latch at the other, cost about 13 quid ... is brilliant

Canistaysane Thu 01-Sep-11 21:44:37

We put stair gates in the door way at the bottom and on dd bedroom at top because our stairs are awkward to fit a gate to.

plipplops Sat 03-Sep-11 20:51:17

We've got the kiddyguard one as our stairs were really awkward, it's a bit of a faff to use (DH still hates it and we've had it about 2.5 years), but it works brilliantly and I think it's the only rhing we could have fitted on our rubbish stairs...

sarahtigh Sun 04-Sep-11 23:32:37

we have stone staircase in listed building but as old steps are shallow in the rise and quite deep so actually much easier for little ones to manage, therefore fixing a gate to either wall or the mahogany carving was not really on, spent quite a bit of time teaching to go up and down safely learnt quite quickly and is very safe on stairs. if she had not learnt to go safely Dh would have made a home made one using off cuts of timber ( he is a carpenter|)
however the advantage of old house is seriously heavy doors with twisting handles still can not open them at 21 months not through lack of trying, and I will let no-one teach her as once a door is shut she can't get there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now