Talk

Advanced search

What are your best tips on dealing with stroppy 5/6yr olds? Mine is a NIGHTMARE!

(6 Posts)
MyCatIsABiggerBastardThanYours Mon 22-Aug-11 14:46:47

Please, put your tips down here and help me and others.

DD is 5, 6 in Oct and since June we have had periods of really stroppy behaviour from her. Mainly she has been mouthy..

I hate you
You're stupid
You're an idiot
and so on
and so on
and so on...

These come about the moment (and I really mean, the moment) that something doesn't go exactly here way! (watching TV when she wants, getting the doll that she wants, being asked to calm down etc etc). They are shouted at full volume and very much in your face.

These aren't phrases we use so not sure where she is getting them.

To be honest, she has always been pretty hyper (no emotion is calm, she's really really happy or wailing like a loon - 90% of the time she is a happy kid) she isn't ADHD, but certainly is not one of your laid back kids.

I try v hard to be calm and the adult, but sometimes I lose it and she gets a real telling off.

Tips tips tips please, I'm willing to try anything.

ivanhoe Mon 22-Aug-11 16:00:37

What small kids need is a bloody good hiding. Soon he or she will get the message.

An0therName Mon 22-Aug-11 18:37:36

not that helpful ivanhoe - my 5 year goes through stages of doing this - most of the time I do ignore it - I figure everyone is allowed to get cross - if it happens alot then he gets a warning and then some kind of punishment - time out or no Wii that night or something -

MyCatIsABiggerBastardThanYours Mon 22-Aug-11 19:24:59

Well thanks for that ivanhoe. troll along

thanks AnOtherName. I do the warning and punishment, but then it all starts again. She has just got sent to bed early for calling me stupid. Now she is wailing and wailing and shouting at her dad.

I have to be honest, I find it really upsetting - which I realise is pathetic as I know she is a 5yr old, but there is only so much you can take of being called stupid before it gets to you.

Anyone else with some tips for me?

An0therName Mon 22-Aug-11 20:12:07

the other side of it might be is there something going on for her - my DS found the transition to holiday hard -he like routine - and sometimes I try shifting out it by making him laugh - maybe pretending to have a tantrum myself - I read a book called playful parenting which had some ideas about things like this

MyCatIsABiggerBastardThanYours Mon 22-Aug-11 21:04:49

I like the having a tantrum myself idea. In fact, I quite fancy that <evil>>grin>

You are right she does get very stressed about change but doesn't know why so it could be hols ending and school starting.

Thanks for your help AnOtherName. I'll try that book as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now