Talk

Advanced search

Ds 10Months is obsessed with eating paper, is this normal?

(6 Posts)
SleepDeprivedGrumpyBum Mon 22-Aug-11 08:45:58

Ds has always been into things he shouldn't be, the laptop cable, daddy's expensive speakers, the dvd player etc. But his new obsession is chewing and ripping paper. He's not picky, any paper will do, books, loo rool, magazines, but it's driving me crazy as no matter how much i try and marshall him and clear the room of anything he always seems to find something.

Has anyone else had something similar? Is it relatively normal? He's just had 4 top teeth come through to compliment his bottom 2 teeth so it sort of feels like he's just experimenting with how they work IYSWIM.

Nagoo Mon 22-Aug-11 08:49:37

mine does it if she gets the chance. She cries when I take i out of her mouth. She doesn't swallow it, just sticks it to the roof of her mouth. hmm

SleepDeprivedGrumpyBum Mon 22-Aug-11 08:53:55

Yeah he's exactly the same, doesn't swallow it just seems to enjoy moving it around his mouth until i take it out or he pushes it out with his tongue. I just get a bit worried about things like magazines or newspapers because of the ink. Is that a bit OTT?

MotherOfHobbit Sun 28-Aug-11 20:23:47

My DS loves tearing paper especially toilet rolls - they keep him entertained for ages. He doesn't usually eat it though. I wouldn't worry. DCs have odd preferences at that age - like you said he's probably experimenting and will probably grow out of it. I doubt the odd bit of paper will do him any damage.

TheRealMBJ Sun 28-Aug-11 20:24:47

Yes. DS did this, grown out of now though

greengirl87 Sun 28-Aug-11 21:55:05

i ate paper from the age of about 4 to 17 fairly regularly (whole A4 pages at once) and still have a nibble now sometimes. Ive turned out alright if that helps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now