Talk

Advanced search

hypermobility

(9 Posts)
suejh Sun 21-Aug-11 21:31:29

My dd is 14 months old but 12 1/2months old corected as she was prem. She always has had very loose hips. She struggled to learn to hold her head up, she has only just learnt to move around by commando crawling. Her hips are still ever so flexable and so are her shoulders so we have to be careful when lifting her up as you can feel her bones clicking.

I have pushed for 5 months to get to see the physio, we have seen her for a while but has finnaly has said last week that she has hypermobility. I am now trying to find out about hypermobility and how I can help her so any infomation would really help, also I am seeing our physio on Wed can anyone think of anything I should ask her? thanks

MyDadWasADesertRat Sun 21-Aug-11 22:11:13

Hi sue, my ds has hypermobility also but is related to Downs syndrome so a bit different perhaps but the principle of having too much range in the joints/soft ligaments is very similar. A lot of this may not apply so apologies in advance if it (probably) doesnt!

The physio should have access to all kinds of equipment from piedro boots (they do pretty pink ones - dont worry) to help her stand/weight bear to neoprene body suits to support dd's joints. The right bed/pushchair/highchair/carseat is something you might start to discuss with them soon too. But funding varies in different areas for some of those items I believe so beware.

We did lots and lots of work with ds 'on all fours' (we leant him over pillows then worked up to a very low footstool etc) whilst playing with favourite toys which really helped him to control his hips so could eventually go from comando crawling to traditionally crawling/knealing/cruising/walking. He know runs!!!!

We also had a lot of input from the Portage Service too who visit weekly and support parents to help their children to acheive their milestones through individually designed targets. But again this service varies in different areas.

Anyway, hope that helps in some way. Hang in there and good luck x

deleting Sun 21-Aug-11 22:37:27

ds2 has hypermobility, but it's also linked to a chromosome problem. He was also late with lifting head, rolling, crawling and walking, but it did come eventually. We were told it was just a matter of him building up more muscle strength to hold himself. He didn't qualify for physio, although we were given advice on building up his strength and he was walking by about 20 months. Not sure if he's hypermobile in his hips actually, but definately in all his other joints so he prob is. We were told to take him swimming, to soft play for climbing and just to generally give him lots of opportunity to move round and build up muscle tone.

deleting Sun 21-Aug-11 22:42:17

Also advised to let him crawl up and down stairs.

cory Mon 22-Aug-11 07:58:15

Both my dcs have hypermobility syndrome. Dd was late in walking (19 months), ds not abnormally so. Both have had physio and both have had problems with painful joints, particularly during the age 7-8 age spurt. Swimming very good, also dancing (because it is controlled), have been advised to avoid the rougher contact sports (so no rugby).

survivingsummer Mon 22-Aug-11 10:13:14

DD also has hypermobility along with low muscle tone and very slight CP. Her hypermobility has become more apparent as she's got older but joints are strengthening up a bit. It is worse in her hips and fingers. She's 4 and really only now finds running difficult. We've taken her swimming and have done lots of physio exercises which have helped.

Good luck with the physio appt!

BCBG Mon 22-Aug-11 10:26:56

Don't panic as hypermobility is not always an indication of other more serious problems! My youngest DD was exactly the same, and in fact only walked for the first time at 2 yrs old. As a result of missing out on the crawling stage (her shoulder joints were very lax) she has dyspraxia, but physiotherapy and later occupational therapy exercises work wonders. She had Piedro boots for a while but now just has fitflops and Birkenstocks when she's not wearing more supportive shoes. She used to fall over a lot, but is now much stronger and more co-ordinated. Hypermobility is linked to the height gene in girls, and DD is predicted to be 6 foot tall. She is a demon swimmer even though the joint laxity means that she started lessons much later than her friends.

It sounds as though yours has been picked up much earlier than dd's, which is fantastic.

chickydoo Mon 22-Aug-11 10:28:42

I am sure everything will be fine.
My daughter has HMS and is fine. She was diagnosed with dyspraxia, and very mild aspergers......but she is now nearly 16, she is expected to get 10 A-B's for her GCSE's & is in top streams at school. She is beautiful, articulate and funny. Apart from being a clumsy, bendy teenager, no one would know.
I also have HMS...has affected my digestive system a bit, too much collagen very smooth intestines (you don't want to know yucky details)! BUT....lots of collagen means great skin!!! am very bendy, but strong now after years of excercise....also am a yoga instructor so my HMS pays the bills!
All will be fine for you I am sure.

EKP Mon 22-Aug-11 23:18:04

HI there
I am hypermobile and wasn't diagnosed as such until my 30's. I was always flexible as a youngster and have clicky joints etc but I didn't experience any issues as a child. Like chickydoo though, I have developed a few digestive issues and gynae issues later in life as a result but not everyone gets these! The plus side, as also mentioned, is the good skin!
There are varying degrees of the condition. I have kids and I may or may not have handed the condition down. No symptoms yet. I would say that muscle toning is key though, whatever the age. I wish that I had know this sooner.
A few years back I found an organisation on the web which advises on hypermobility : http://www.hypermobility.org.
All the best. You are right to seek advice but I am sure that you child will be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now