Talk

Advanced search

DS (8) keep telling lies

(4 Posts)
heathermumof3 Sun 21-Aug-11 20:03:07

So tonight my DS has come home full of mud. I asked him what happend when he said to my horror that a man with a knife had pushed him off his bike. Obviously I froze for a moment with shock. I then slowly asked him again telling if this is a lie tell me now otherwise I will have to call the police. My DS then started to get upset and said no his friend had told him some one had done it to him, seen it in a film, herd sumet etc

I was really mad and have grounded him. I have told my DS that if he had not told me the truth the police would be round and every one would be frightend.

This is not the firts time he has lied about things. The other day he came home crying saying one of his friends had punched him. I asked him what he had done and he said nothing his friend was in a mood and punched him. I was mad but didn't say anything to this childs parents. The next day I was talking to one fo the other mums and mentioned that a child had mine out of the blue. She then said I think they was as bad as one another. I came home red in the face and asked my DS when again he then told me the truth that he had punched his friend first.angry

I now don't know when to believe him and when to doubt him. I have told him the boy who cried wolve story. He is now very sorry and crying in his room.

Any other tips on how to deal with lie telling.

hayleysd Sun 21-Aug-11 20:13:41

My 6 year old is like this, he told us his friend had gone to the skate park about 2 miles away when his mum was looking for him (friend is 12 but not allowed on his own) and she was worried sick, he was really at another friends house, everything is always someone else's fault and loads of times has come back saying someone did something to him when they haven't.

His latest story was he had seen a friends 3 & 4 year old boys smoking!

His teacher said he's full of wild and wonderful stories so I dread to think what he tells them at school!

Will watch this thread with interest to see if anyone has any ideas.

heathermumof3 Sun 21-Aug-11 20:18:23

another one he once did he told me that he friends keeps telling him he has a ugly face. Again supper mum me asks his friend "why do you keep saying he has a ugly face" friend replies "because he said it to me first". DS then agree's that he has said it first blush

create Sun 21-Aug-11 20:30:29

TBH I think all 8-10yo boys are like this (maybe girls too, but I don't have experience of that)

They seem to be unable/unwilling to seperate story telling from fact. DS1 comes home with all sorts of stories about who so and so has done at the weekend, or what their dad said etc, I think they're all as bad as each other and we need to learn to take what they say with a pinch of salt. They do grow out of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now