Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Advice on a few speech issues with DD please :)

(10 Posts)
ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Sat 20-Aug-11 14:53:31

DD is 3.5 and is a generally very well behaved and happy girl.

She was a little slow with her speech and was quite a while learning new words and putting together sentences.

Playschool referred her to a speech therapist (when she was about 2.9) and after a couple of meets it was concluded that her speech was fine and on target, and within a few weeks she was babbling away, forming sentences and getting on much better at playschool. They also helped with ways to improve her confidence as they said it was more a confidence using the speech rather than the actual ability. She has come on leaps and bounds and is a right chatterbox now and has been discharged from SALT.

The only issue is that she can't pronounce a G (comes out as a 'd') sound or a C/K (comes out as a 't') sound. So cat is 'tat' and big is 'bid' and so on. It has been like this forever and when we were under the SALT she said not to worry at all and she should get it on her own time.

I suppose I just wondered how long is her own time? Should I be worried she'll still be talking like this when she is 22?! grin And are there any techniques I can do to help her grasp the sound?

TIA, any advice is much appreciated.

HoneyPablo Sat 20-Aug-11 14:59:08

She sounds completely normal. I think it can take until a child is 6 or 7 until those sounds are formed properly.
I am not a SALT but work with children and we are always told not to correct their speech but to model it. So if she says 'tat' for cat, instead of saying 'It's not tat, it's cat' which is very tempting, we say 'yes, it's a cat'.
It just takes time, but it will come. smile

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Sat 20-Aug-11 15:05:36

That's good to hear. Yes that's what I do. I just positively reinforce what she's saying instead of telling her she's wrong.

It just makes me feel so sad when people don't understand what she says and I feel like I have to subtley tell everyone what she is saying.

She starts full time preschool in a couple of weeks so hopefully that should help her too smile

HoneyPablo Sat 20-Aug-11 15:08:21

I think it's really sweet when children mispronounce words. I work with toddlers and one little boy calls the room the togglers room.grin

strictlovingmum Sat 20-Aug-11 15:32:34

I think you have nothing to worry about, some sounds are more difficult then others such as:L, R, G it can take a while for some children to master them, but she will get there.
We had same issues with our dd, and SALT was only concentrating on S, C, SH, and succeeded to correct those in about six months, she still rolls R, but we were reassured she get those in her own time, and L she got it just recently, dd just turned 5, hope this helpssmile
Try not to feel too concerned, her speech will in crystallise in time, she is still very young, her vocabulary is probably huge.
When our dd was assessed, her vocabulary was very advanced(almost three years ahead) and SALT did say that sometimes it can be difficult to get complex words out with right pronunciation.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Sat 20-Aug-11 15:45:44

It is amazing to sit and think how many words she knows now when a year ago I could count them on one hand.

I am noticing her speech coming along so well, now getting the SL, SP sounds and everyone comments how it's hard to believe she had to be referred but then in the same breath they ask me what she just said.

I can imagine it must be so hard for them to learn all these words. I try listening to my neighbours speaking in their native languages and then think that that is how it must sound to a baby/toddler/child hearing a new word.

You've definitely reassured me that she'll catch up in her own time, so thanks all smile

strictlovingmum Sat 20-Aug-11 16:11:25

Yes it can sound slightly incoherent to a onlooker, but that should not concern you and it goes without saying, you DD has lot to say and she will say it in her own time correctly.
You brought up interesting subject, how confusing it must be for children to listen to us adults conversing, whole jumble of new words emerging all the time, and of course some children mouth apparatus is unable to cope with all those new words straight away.
Put it this way we know of a friend's child who didn't usher coherent word before the age of three, who today and trough out his school life, nothing but excelled in everything, and is predicted to great things in life, child who was considered to have severe speech delay, it just shows doesn't it?

hairtwiddler Sat 20-Aug-11 16:40:19

DD had this problem, it's called 'fronting' in speech therapy terms,and is a normal developmental process. The K and G sounds are usually acquired by 4.5 so your daughter is still within normal limits. My dd was referred to SALT and figured out the sounds a week before she was seen at 5.5. They quickly generalised and it made learning sounds for reading easier.
In summary, I wouldn't worry, although I've been there and it's frustrating! So many times I've got it wrong when she said crane and meant train!

hairtwiddler Sat 20-Aug-11 17:01:16

Should have been the other way round, oops!

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Sat 20-Aug-11 17:56:21

Ah thanks Hairtwiddler, glad to know she's not the only one smile And I'm always getting bag and bad mixed up with her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now