Talk

Advanced search

5 year always having to win at everything

(6 Posts)
corinewmoon Sat 20-Aug-11 09:29:00

I know this is probably quite normal for some kids but im not sure how to deal with it. Everything seems to be a competition and if he doesnt win he starts crying/screaming. We tend to ignore the behaviour and tell him we are just having fun.

CatFlaps Sat 20-Aug-11 10:57:06

OMG my dd is exactly the same and shes just 5. EVERYTHING is a competition and she HAS to win, even from who gets down the stairs first and who goes through the door first etc. If I get there first and she doesnt 'win' all hell breaks lose, theres a full on tantrum!

sjcmum Sat 20-Aug-11 20:05:02

same for my 5 year old - it seemed to get worse when she started school last year - but she is really competitive with her younger sister the whole time, even gloating when she has a bigger biscuit of something like that..... we seem to be getting a lot of tantrums too at the moment when things don't go her way, or she can't do something... so yes sounds normal to me... but no suggestions on how to deal with it.... but would like some!

activate Sat 20-Aug-11 20:06:58

ignore / laugh at him

lose and throw your own tantrum

he'll get over it

do NOT let him win everythinhg or he'll never learn how

KitKat84 Sun 21-Aug-11 11:00:13

You just described my 5 year old. I watched his first sport's day through my hands wanting to cry!! We played bingo the other week and my 5 year old had a full on tantrum because he didn't win. I try and ignore it, laughing at him just gets him more wound up. I also got him into some sports clubs to get him used to healthy competition but I think this backfired on me as his behaviour was so bad he was sent to the corner to calm down each session:/ I think perseverence is the key with ignoring it.

corinewmoon Sun 21-Aug-11 11:42:17

Well i am glad to know its completly normal and that others are suffeing the same 5 year old traumas. His big brother does tend to give into him and let him win etc to avoid the tantrums. I dont, so yes i just ignore it most of the time.
Would really like some other suggestions though if anyone has any?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now