Talk

Advanced search

Bad habit. Suggestions needed. 4yr old DD - keeps licking her lips

(5 Posts)
anothabubbla Fri 19-Aug-11 21:15:05

Anyone got any suggestions to help - my dd keeps licking her lips. Think David Tennant in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. She keeps getting sore patches around her mouth, otherwise I would just let her grow out of it.

thisisyesterday Fri 19-Aug-11 21:16:10

vaseline

Brangelina Fri 19-Aug-11 21:26:46

Mine's the same, it drives me mad. This winter she got really scabby lips (looked like herpes at one point) and they didn't get better until school finished and I could force her to put lip balm on constantly throughout the day. I also got her to drink loads, I'm not sure how much that helped but they got better.

I don't know what you can do to make her stop, other than saying don't do that every time you spot her doing it, but you can mitigate the effects.

Don't use vaseline, although it's effective it's still petrochemical shite. We used Burt's Bees for a while (beeswax based) but then found Yes to Carrots which also has coconut oil in and is more emollient.

AKMD Sun 21-Aug-11 01:46:35

Lip balm on first to moisturise and then suncream over the top to make it taste disgusting.

anothabubbla Mon 22-Aug-11 18:59:46

Many thanks. Great to know it's not just us. Been trying e45 lip balm as a short term measure. Will try to get more inventive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now