Talk

Advanced search

WWYD? 18 month old

(12 Posts)
tryingtobemarypoppins2 Fri 19-Aug-11 20:50:33

Out for a picnic. Older children all sit down to eat leaving their bikes on the ground. 18month old (not eaten since early breakfast so should be hungry) totally refuses to sit down and eat as he wants to 'try' and have a go on the bikes. Older children get cross that they have to eat their lunch etc. WWYD?

thanks all.

BlueArmyGirl Fri 19-Aug-11 20:53:46

How old is older? Old enough to explain to and understand that 18mth old is only a toddler? As far as 18 mth old goes no sitting = no food. Or, you could go for insiting 18mth old sit and have nightmare picnic instead - done that before out of bloodymindedness before now smile

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Fri 19-Aug-11 20:55:02

Almost 4 year olds - so yes, they did kind of understand......kind of!

LoopyLoopsTootyFroots Fri 19-Aug-11 20:56:48

My 18 month old, I'd tell them they can play after lunch.

Someone else's, I'd probably let them play on the bikes for a few minutes.

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Fri 19-Aug-11 21:00:40

And if they had a screaming tantrum, what then?

BlueArmyGirl Fri 19-Aug-11 21:00:49

Yeah, I get the sort of almost bit - 4 is that sort of age where they know it cognitively but not rationally - doesn't stop the feeling bit taking over....

If 18 mth old was in a buggy you could have always tried to put bikes out of sight (as best you could!) and sat him/her in for lunch or had a quick go on the bike with your help and then put them to one side while eating. Guess it depends if 18 mth old is quite determined and would have just had a meltdown or fairly easy going and would have accepted it.

BlueArmyGirl Fri 19-Aug-11 21:03:11

Suppose it depends on how comfortable you are at dealing with screaming tanturm in public - never really bothred me

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Fri 19-Aug-11 21:05:33

It wouldn't bother me, just not sure if at 18months they can understand eat now/play later??? Would it be crawl to restrain him on my lap/pushchair just to eat now/play later???

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Fri 19-Aug-11 21:27:45

bumping - any other thoughts?

PPPop Fri 19-Aug-11 21:33:27

As it's a picnic, I would let them play. Picnics should be fun and more relaxed.

lecce Fri 19-Aug-11 21:54:30

I have had similar issues throughout the summer with my 24mth old and 4 yr old. We don't have such a strict attitude to picnics as we do with indoor meals. Running around, back to rug for a few bites, off running again...you get the picture.

One memorable picnic mil was modelling the perfect catsbum-mouth throughout, suprised she could eat.

We have now been home a week and both have eaten really well since we got back, normality resumed without any issues.

Picnics/holidays - time to relax the rules imo.

LoopyLoopsTootyFroots Fri 19-Aug-11 22:08:18

Yes actually, can't they play and eat at the same time?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now