Talk

Advanced search

9 month baby occasionally has 'few seconds' stare...normal?

(11 Posts)
chestert Fri 19-Aug-11 18:14:41

My otherwise very alert, chatty, hugely watchful, engaging - masses of eye contact since v eraly - DS has been occasionally drifting off into space - maybe just looking intensely past me for a few seconds, no more. I can call his name and he'll smile etc.

Is it normal? I really worry about ASD...

earshot Fri 19-Aug-11 18:50:49

We used to joke that DS could see ghosts as when he was a baby he'd stare intently just past you at absolutely nothing for a few moments. He's 2 now and seems ok - well as ok as a toddler ever can be grin

madwomanintheattic Fri 19-Aug-11 18:51:12

perfectly normal.

why are you worried about asd?

stressheaderic Fri 19-Aug-11 18:53:07

My DD does this a lot, she's 18mo.

We call her Dolly Daydreams and think no more of it!

madwomanintheattic Fri 19-Aug-11 18:53:25

all of mine used to stare intently at a space just above my head.

none of them are on the spectrum. well, ds1 might just flick the gauge, but for sensory/ other issues rather than eye contact.

chestert Fri 19-Aug-11 18:57:20

I'm glad to know it's normal. It just scared me a little; he's so full on engaging otherwise

For some horrible, shameful reason, I am just scared of him being on the ASD. Don't ask my why that's my particular fear. There is no reason it, it's just something I seemed to attach to during pregnancy and still rears itself now. Please don't judge me; I'm well aware of the horribleness of it. I probably could do with some therapy around it.

Thanks for the reassurance, appreciated

madwomanintheattic Fri 19-Aug-11 19:10:26

smile
part of your job as a parent is to worry about everything. x

if it helps, dd2 has cp (obv we didn't know before she was born and it hadn't crossed my mind) and all sorts of things seem really v terrible and frightening at a distance. the reality is always less so. x

chestert Fri 19-Aug-11 19:12:43

madwoman 'the reality is always less so'

I know. I really do know. As I said, totally irrational and so shaming. It makes me cry thinking of how irrational it is.

BertieBasset Fri 19-Aug-11 19:17:37

I have prodded dd1 in the past and made her start and cry when she used to do it. I was convinced she was having some sort of fit blush

dd2 is not assaulted in such a manner when she is staring aimlessly!

We are all irrational don't worry

madwomanintheattic Fri 19-Aug-11 19:19:43

ah bertie, prodding not necessary, you can do the 'chuck a cotton wool ball' test to rule out absences. wink
<been there, done that>

chestert Fri 19-Aug-11 19:35:18

I think I'm more irrational than most. I must reign it in. It makes things so joyless, unnecessarily

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now