Talk

Advanced search

Is letting a baby get frustrated a good motivation for crawling? Or a crap one?

(4 Posts)
doityourway Fri 19-Aug-11 09:31:19

I posted here that 8.5 DS has shown no interest in crawling. Sits for hours, can stand on strong legs, can roll for England. Crawling, zilch. Slight leg movement, slight changes from week to week but nothing else.

Obviously I want him to be happy - and he is - but I also have no idea if I should be doing anything to motivate him.

I try to leave him on his stomach with toys out of reach and it really upsets him after a while if, by rolling, he can't easily get them.

I think a little frustration isn't a bad thing - but maybe that's completely wrong.

Any advice? I know I shouldn't worry, and he'll do it in his own time, but I do worry

stinkypants Fri 19-Aug-11 13:23:08

oh - you've answered your own question i think!!! i agree that what you're doing is fine and a little frustration wont hurt him but i certainly wouldnt leave him ages if not happy. yes he will do it when he's ready and then he'll be unstoppable !!enjoy this stage - its so lovely - and throw away the book that says when they should do stuff.
my 1st ds was 9 months, ds2 was 10 months, i really dont think its a competition tho!!!

HappyAsASandboy Fri 19-Aug-11 17:04:36

I agree - he'll do it in his own time smile

I have 10 Month old twins. DD crawled at 9 months, DS is nearly there at 10 months. DD crawled backwards for a full month before she managed forwards. DS rolls everywhere. DD still struggles to roll back to front, though front to back is no problem.

I really think they master these things when they're ready, and not before!

madmomma Fri 19-Aug-11 19:19:01

my son is the same. He did absolutely nothing at all until last week (he's 10 months). Wouldn't even entertain the idea of crawling or bottom shuffling. Now he's suddenly determined to walk. He just changed overnight from lazy as hell & chilled, to feisty & stroppy. They just do it in their own time I think, and lots of babies skip crawling altogether. Little buggers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now