Talk

Advanced search

baby formula at 20 months!!!! help please

(11 Posts)
jewels1900 Fri 19-Aug-11 09:28:34

Help my son is 20 months and currently has 2 bottles of milk a day, only problem is he is still on sma gold ready made formula, he point blank refuses to drink full fat milk, I have tried everything, heating the milk, straight from the fridge, bottles, cups but nothing, he would rather go without, I have gone 2 weeks now of putting his bottle out in the morning with full fat milk and he just wont touch it, i give him nothing else(thougt going cold turkey with no other option would make him drink it) but after 2 weeks he still wont take it, any suggestions??? I dont know what else to try and I have been told by health visitor that is unaccepatable for a boy of his age to still be on newborn formula.

5inthebed Fri 19-Aug-11 09:38:11

Have you tried gradually adding full fat milk? Mixing the milk with formula, little bit at a time, gradually changing it so there is more milk than formula?

5inthebed Fri 19-Aug-11 09:41:19

Sorry, should have added, for example, if he has an 80z bottle, you' do 7 oz formula and 1 oz milk for a few days,then 6oz formula 2 oz milk tc until he is finally on just milk.

jewels1900 Fri 19-Aug-11 09:46:56

now, why did I not think of that!!!! excellent idea i will give it a try tomorrow morning, I make his bottle before bringing him downstairs so he does not see me make it but he knows by the colour of the milk if its his formula so he is not easily fooled, he would pick up the bottle of formula and drink it straight away with the full fat miilk he does not even taste it he just gives me the bottle back so this must be worth a try, thank you for your help

Eglu Fri 19-Aug-11 09:47:16

I was going to suggest what 5inthebed said.

5inthebed Fri 19-Aug-11 09:52:00

You're welcome. I hope it goes well for you. Nothing like a hadtrong toddler smile

5inthebed Fri 19-Aug-11 09:52:13

headstrong^

Fillybuster Fri 19-Aug-11 09:54:21

Mixing it slowly is definitely one option. But why on earth does a nearly-2-year-old need 2 bottles of any milk a day?

By this age he should be able to get all his nutrients from food, and the bottles will be a) limiting his food intake and b) aren't great for his teeth.

Perhaps switch him to cups, if you really feel he still needs something?

BertieBotts Fri 19-Aug-11 09:56:28

HV is wrong, BTW. Newborn formula is fine! Better than those over-one-year formula milk things which are ridiculously sweet. The formula is unnecessary, but it's definitely not going to harm him.

jewels1900 Fri 19-Aug-11 10:12:53

fillybuster - he has a few health problems and has never eaten well, and we have only had one full nights sleep since he was born and that was last month, if I dont give him any milk at all which I have tried he still wont eat much so the hospital told me it was important to still give hm milk so he was getting some calorie intake as he was losing weight, the hospital suggested the cold turkey method of just giving him full fat milk so thats why I tried that way, I have tried all different types of cups, beakers and while he will take water from them he wont take any kind of milk from them! feel like such a failure. when I stopped the milk altogether he went days of not eating anything just drinking water which I know would not do him any harm but had to go by the hospital advice of giving him milk for the calories.
bertiebotts - thanks for your reassurance, HV really made me feel bad for him still being on the formula.
I will try mixing the milk and see what happens
thanks for all your suggestions and help

BeeMyBaby Fri 19-Aug-11 13:42:14

just want to say I have a similar problem to you jewels with DD almost 19 months on alot more than 2 bottles (with straws) of formula a day. No health reasons though, just pickiness, again even if I were to just withdraw the milk, she would still refuse to eat. Really great idea from 5inthebed which I will definitely try!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now