Talk

Advanced search

Please help sleep issues starting at 2.5yrs?

(10 Posts)
EdwardorEricCantDecide Fri 19-Aug-11 03:35:39

DS has slept through since we did CC at 7mo.
Tonight he has gotten out of bed several times, I put him back told him it was nighttime and go to sleep he just keeps getting up.
DH says I'm too soft and has now taken over, DS has now been awake for over 2hours he is screaming as though someone is murdering him! Although I cam tell he's getting tired now?!
I'm 32 weeks pg, exhausted ad terrified that we are goingto start having sleep problems with a newborn coming in a few weeks.
What can I do?

EdwardorEricCantDecide Fri 19-Aug-11 03:38:48

He's now screaming daddy I'll tell mum! I'm now in tears to because he's getting so upset!

Janeymax Fri 19-Aug-11 04:43:40

Is he sick? If this is the first night, could easily be a short term thing - our 2 year old only wakes at night when she has an ear infection.

One of her cousins started getting night terrors at about this age - triggered initially by a new baby.

Whatever the trigger, there is likely to be a physical or emotional reason he is waking. Being tough on this unlikely to address the cause.

Would you consider letting him sleep in you bed/room as a once off? You may get more sleep tonight.

EdwardorEricCantDecide Fri 19-Aug-11 08:13:21

He went to sleep, just as I finished my post last night,
I think he is coming down with a cold, and he said he had runny nose so the first time I got up I had given him calpol and imbed oil on his pjs,
The next time I went down I thought he needed comfort so I went into bed with him, he thought it was playtime and pulled my hair pushed nose in etc :-) so I decided he was fine.
I think it's because the past few mornings he comes up to our bed to play before going down stairs, I think was just pushing his luck TBH

We'll see what tonight brings.

cheekydino Fri 19-Aug-11 18:22:49

Hello Edward from the baby bus! We are going through something similar with our ds (nearly 3) - we think it may be that he is after more comfort as he is very aware of new baby on its way and has been getting lots more of our attention - both as it is school holidays and we are teachers and as we are giving him extra fun before new baby descends. He is fine for days and then just has a few nights where he shouts mummy/daddy until we go in (about twice a night) and comfort him then he goes back to sleep. It upsets me too as he has always been a good sleeper (since 5 months has slept through) and only usually wakes when he's ill. He seems to be having very vivid dreams too! Fingers crossed it is a one off for you and stops soon for us. As you say, it won't be fun with a new baby too.

Dorisnextdoor Fri 19-Aug-11 18:40:54

Message withdrawn

hiccymapops Fri 19-Aug-11 18:50:08

Ds2 2.8 is going through a similar thing at the minute. He's shouting and pulling his cot to pieces for an hour or two after he goes to bed. If he's just playing/talking, I leave him, but if he gets upset we'll go and give him a cuddle.

Not sure why he's doing it, I'm hoping it's just a phase. I think he has realised I can't always be the one to come to him now though, as we have dd 6 months, but to be honest I think he'd be the same even if it was me that kept going to him.

Hopefully it's just a phase they go through at this age.

EdwardorEricCantDecide Fri 19-Aug-11 23:20:25

I think he's just asserting himself, (he kept getting out of bed at naptime today also)
And he's out of routine as we're staying with family tonight, but he went down no prob tonight, and he rarely sleeps through in relatives house anyway.
Hi cheeky [waves] I think it's just that it's taken him a while to realise he can actually get out of bed and he's taking advantage now that he's realised.
I also thought it was a comfort thing, but when I lay with him he was trying to make me laugh and stuff, think he's just playing up for attention.

EdwardorEricCantDecide Thu 25-Aug-11 04:11:24

Ok has now happened every other night since thread started. I'm exhausted what else can we do?
DH had been cradling him to sleep but he now wakes several times asking to be cradled "like a baby"
He's been up for over 2 hours tonight!

EdwardorEricCantDecide Thu 25-Aug-11 04:28:44

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now