Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Biting in 1 year old

(4 Posts)
FutureNannyOgg Thu 18-Aug-11 22:32:35

DS seems to have developed biteyness. He will come up to me when I am sitting, say on the sofa, and properly bite. It started as him biting my clothes or tummy when he was hungry, but he now picks up my hand to bite my thumb, or even my toes! Today he wandered over to DH who was reading and couldn't see him past his book, and bit his big toe.
I tend to deal with it by picking him up and moving him away from me, but otherwise not rewarding it with any response. He still thinks it is absolutely hilarious. I'm not sure if I should be telling him no, or perhaps telling him to be "kind" (nursery use that to encourage them not to batter each other)
Any tips?

ballstoit Thu 18-Aug-11 22:39:33

I think you're dealing with it as you need to be, although perhaps you could move away from him so he doesnt even get the attention of being picked up.

Try to keep a close eye (as much as you can with a fast moving toddler grin) and distract if he seems to be heading towards a nip.

FutureNannyOgg Fri 19-Aug-11 10:13:35

Thanks, I shall keep at it, it's a bit worrying, but I guess it will take him a while to forget about it.

pictish Fri 19-Aug-11 10:16:19

A soon as he sinks his teeth in, put him down quite unceremoniously straight away and say NO BITING!
Then stalk off and ignore him for a few minutes.

He will soon realise that his biting brings him nothing but being put down on the floor and ignored.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now