Talk

Advanced search

tantrums - the usual!

(5 Posts)
rhetorician Thu 18-Aug-11 19:37:59

DD is 2.7 and a pretty well behaved child on the whole; when she is tired she gets hysterical, mostly about wanting to do things for herself which she is too tired and overwrought to actually manage. She will not be helped. I know she will grow out of it, but what's the best way to handle it - just make her put her pyjamas on and get her to bed, or hold her until it passes (my problem with the latter is that it just prolongs the period until we can get her to bed, which is what she needs most).

the last week she's been waking earlier than normal, because she is over-tired and I'm finding it hard to get her caught up on sleep. She doesn't nap in the day.

overmydeadbody Thu 18-Aug-11 19:40:33

Ignore, comfort, hug her, read stories to calm her down, get her into bed earlier, anything to help make her feel better.

Kids that age don't know it is tiredness making them feel so bad, they just feel awful, the best thing you can do is comfort and calm her down, it will pass!

overmydeadbody Thu 18-Aug-11 19:41:27

I don't mean ignore her, I mean ignore the tantrum, without ignoring her if that makes sense.

Choufleur Thu 18-Aug-11 19:43:05

Try to do things a bit earlier. Get her ready for bed and in PJs early so that she can be helped.

rhetorician Thu 18-Aug-11 19:47:53

choufleur she was in pjs but needed nappy changing and then asked for cream on her bottom that she wanted to put on herself hmm, and then the whole pyjama thing kicked off. We have such an established routine now that putting her to bed earlier is a bit difficult, but tonight certainly she was ready to fall asleep at tea time...thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now