Talk

Advanced search

referral to paeds physio - what will happen?

(4 Posts)
MedicalEd Thu 18-Aug-11 19:32:43

I posted on here a couple of weeks ago as my DD, then 5 months wasn't really playing with toys when propped up sitting. She doesn't pick them up and holds them for only a couple of seconds when I put them in her hand. She does reach and grab at toys when on her playgym.
Not much has changed despite her sitting improving. She is now nearly six months so HV is referring her to a physio.
What will the physio assess? Am really sad that there might be something wrong with her and this referral seems to suggest HV thinks there might be.
DD is very social, smiled early, makes lots of different noises with two and three syllables, and everyone has commented on how bright and alert she is from a very young age.
She rolled over at 15 weeks, did it a few times but hasn't done it since.
I can't really make her laugh at the usual games, she chuckles at the cats playing sometimes but that's it, she isn't ticklish, doesn't play with toys in the bath, ect.
I got all excited the other day when she shook her bells on a stick thingy but at nearly six months surely she should be doing more than this?
sad

survivingsummer Thu 18-Aug-11 20:10:47

Physio will probably check muscle tone, reflexes etc just to see if it is anything obvious like low muscle tone. It could well be cautionary on behalf of the HV as it could well be that your DD is just a slow starter and will catch up! If physio can't see an obvious cause there may be a referral to a community paed for further tests.

Try not to worry (I know its hard) - she can roll which is really good and her sociability is a great sign smile

Galena Fri 19-Aug-11 09:23:16

It could just be a sign that the HV is acknowledging that YOU think there might be something wrong, IYSWIM?

Physio will probably just see what she can do, and possibly bend her legs and arms to see whether she has a full range of movement, etc. Then they may well give you some ideas of exercises and activities you can do at home to encourage her to develop.

MedicalEd Fri 19-Aug-11 11:14:34

Galena, I am sure that the HV is reflecting my concern as she didn't refer for TT until quite late even though I kept bringing it up so she probably doesn't want to make the same mistake again.
But she did say that most babies would be playing more by this age.
I don't think it is a physical issue as she brings hands together accurately to toys on the playgym, can do tummy time for ages and has been bearing her weight on her legs when held standing for nearly two months.
I think for some reason she is just not interested in touching toys, she looks at them, watches what I do with them ect but doesn't really want to do much with them herself.
She sits propped up or on my lap with her hands waving about to the sides like she is trying to balance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now