Talk

Advanced search

Huge request for help needed, my sons night tantrums are becoming so bad!

(5 Posts)
Ellora Thu 18-Aug-11 19:26:58

My son is 2 1/2 and about two weeks before husband and I came to stay with my mother for the summer in the uk (to avoid the middle east heat) my son started night time tantrums. This started in June and is still going on everynight since (not one night where he doesn't scream the house down for a good hour.) They can be any time of the night (11:00pm, 1:00am, 4:00am) and as we speak he just kicked off 10 minutes after I walked out the room after story time and as the monitor hits red he jumps up and down banging the cot and I fear he is going to hurt himself.
I have tried leaving him for 3 weeks and not go in at all and let him cry it out,
he has a on the clock schedule for bed, bath, story e.t.c
He eats really well and have taken all sugar our of his diet completely in case and drinks plenty of water.
No teeth all molars through
He has a good nap for 1-2 hrs in the same bed every day
He is not ill or ear ache
He is like a different child in the day happy as larry no behavioural problems just the usual two frustrations
He has 3 different weights sleeping bags so I ehave tried all to ensure he is not too cold or hot.
he is very conscious and I am convinced its not night terrors as the minute I come in he calms down and is happy as day.

I just cannot understand that my child has the stamina to cry like that every night for nearly 8 weeks and there not be any signs of something else wrong.

Has anyone out there ever had exactly this with a child of this age just distraught for 8 weeks?

Before that he had always slept really well apart from usual teething issues which could last up to 4 weeks.

Am beside myself because my poor elderly parents are so freaked and have barely slept am tempted to go home abroad earlier to let them rest.

As I finish this email he has stopped and gone to sleep, so it lasted about 1 hr tonight so hes fine but why and did anyone just feel this happened and their kids just grew out of it??

Any thoughts really appreciated and as many ideas as possible because am exhausted and have exhausted every idea!

Dorisnextdoor Thu 18-Aug-11 19:44:50

Message withdrawn

AngelDog Thu 18-Aug-11 22:45:43

The 2.5-3 year sleep regression? Info here here and here.

Some sort of separation anxiety?

DecapitatedLegoman Thu 18-Aug-11 22:48:16

Sounds like he's crying for you - is it maybe just that he's unsettled being in a different country and a strange house and just needs his mum?

Dorisnextdoor Fri 19-Aug-11 06:28:27

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now