Talk

Advanced search

Advertising on childhood development

(5 Posts)
daftks Thu 18-Aug-11 18:00:22

Hello everyone!

My name is Scarlett (that nickname wasn't available, unfortunately) and I am currently studying MA Graphic Branding and Identity at University of the Arts London, and currently investigating advertising and branding's impact on childhood development for my Final Major Project; mumsnet was the first place I had in mind, as it would be the best place to gather opinions on this topic.

I hope it's alright posting here, if it isn't, I understand this and will gladly retract this post.

A few questions in mind:

1. 5 words to describe your own childhood (e.g. swings, skipping, carrots. The first things that come to your mind)
2. 5 words to describe your child's childhood
3. Do you watch television? (If not, please continue at Qu.6)
4. Are you aware that the UK government is now allowing product placement on television? But with restrictions on children's programmes and also current affairs?
5. Do you allow your child to watch television past the watershed (9pm) time? If so, are you concerned with programmes that contain product placement?
6. Do you think advertising has had a big impact on childhood?

Any answers will be greatly appreciated, and will help contribute towards data for my final major project. Many thanks!

HoneyPablo Thu 18-Aug-11 20:05:25

1. 5 words to describe your own childhood (e.g. swings, skipping, carrots. The first things that come to your mind)
family, outside, school, friends, Barbie
pets, school, friends, mess, expensive
yes
4. Are you aware that the UK government is now allowing product placement on television? But with restrictions on children's programmes and also current affairs?
yes
5. Do you allow your child to watch television past the watershed (9pm) time?
Yes (she is 14)
If so, are you concerned with programmes that contain product placement?
No
No

tigerlillyd02 Thu 18-Aug-11 21:06:29

school, park, parents, toys, christmas
toys, games, singing, food, sleep
Yes
No
5. Do you allow your child to watch television past the watershed (9pm) time?
No - 21 months and asleep by then
If so, are you concerned with programmes that contain product placement?
No
No

Chundle Thu 18-Aug-11 21:29:29

1. 5 words to describe your own childhood - dens, friends, marbles, sleepovers, holidays
2. 5 words to describe your child's childhood - energetic, problematic, sport, family, pets
3. Do you watch television? Yes
4. Are you aware that the UK government is now allowing product placement on television? But with restrictions on children's programmes and also current affairs? No
5. Do you allow your child to watch television past the watershed (9pm) time? No
6. Do you think advertising has had a big impact on childhood? Yes

daftks Mon 22-Aug-11 18:34:42

Thank you very much for the answers so far, everyone. Really, really appreciate it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now