Talk

Advanced search

Really concerned about daughter's behaviour

(3 Posts)
MrsFruitcake Thu 18-Aug-11 08:33:00

Can anyone advise me please? My DD is 7, will be 8 in October. Just recently, I've noticed that she is super-sensitive about so many things and will burst into tears at the drop of a hat. She has always been a bit 'high maintenance' and needed lots of attention and stimulation, right from birth.

She will scream and scream when gets this way, and has angry, hurt sounding tantrums which go on for 10-15 minutes at a time, at least once a day. She is also starting to talk back to me and disrespect the things I say or tell her to do, whereas previously, she would do as I asked with happiness.

As an example, on a day out yesterday, she cartwheeled into a bush by mistake (she didn't hurt herself luckily, just misjudged the distance!) and when she realised other people had seen her, she dissolved into tears, screeched at me, tried to hit her brother and ran off. I was shocked and didn't know how to react.

I guess what I am asking is is this normal for an almost 8 year old? There are no other issues at home, her Dad and I live together, she does well at school, has friends, is well liked amongst her circle and is 'normal' in every other way. We aren't super strict parents but we aren't lax either - somewhere inbetween I suppose.

Can anyone advise? My DM and BF say its normal and that she is in the 'first rush' of hormones which can kick in at this age apparently, but I'm not so sure.

kittensliveupstairs Thu 18-Aug-11 09:29:14

Sounds just like my DD TBH. She started to get more 'concious' of herself and how she appeared to others around that age.

PositiveAttitude Thu 18-Aug-11 09:37:36

Having had 4 daughters go through this (and 1 son) I would say this is very normal. The pre-pubescent hormones have been harder for me to understand than the teenage bit!! Very sensitive, yes and when their pride gets dented, like when your DD cartwheeled into a bush, they just dont know how to react, so go totally over the top! Its just the beginning, but this wont last for too long, then it improves (most of the time).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now