Talk

Advanced search

14 month old DD doesn't speak

(8 Posts)
Lexiejack Wed 17-Aug-11 10:00:20

Hi my 14 month old DD is still just babbling! She says something that sounds a bit like cat and dadadadada but nothing else! Bit lost as 2yr old DS has always been brilliant vocally and at her age could have a little conversation! Is this normal? And how would i encourage her language more?

holyShmoley Wed 17-Aug-11 10:03:54

your 14 monrh is normal. Your older child is WAY ahead of the pack. Having 5-10 words at eighteen months is typical

Lexiejack Wed 17-Aug-11 10:08:02

That's what I thought. As DS was quite advanced (not bragging!!!) i get baffled by DD's 'slowness' then have to remember that all children are different and I probably had more time with DS as there were no other children to sort out as well!

pictish Wed 17-Aug-11 10:09:57

My ds1 was talking fluently at 2, but my ds2 said not a word till he was two and a half!! No sentences till he was 3!!
He's 3.8 now and chats away quite the thing!

Stop worrying. 14 months?! Calm down. wink

Lexiejack Wed 17-Aug-11 13:40:19

It's those bloody baby centre emails I get I think telling me what they should be doing at their age!! Makes me go a tad crazy blush lol

LackingNicknameInspiration Wed 17-Aug-11 13:59:10

Wouldn't worry either - my DD1 didn't really say any recognisable words until she was over 2. I now look back nostalgically on those days - can't shut her up now! Once she started talking, she caught up really really quickly.

DD2, on the other hand, has been chatting away for months (she's now 20 months). As you say, they're all different. From what I've seen though, I think it's pretty common for the younger one to be later talking - they generally don't need to as they can get the older one to do stuff for them!

JosieRosie Wed 17-Aug-11 14:01:03

All sounds ok but go to your local Children's Centre - you will get loads of advice on how to make sure her development keeps moving in the right direction!

MotherOfHobbit Wed 17-Aug-11 20:11:48

My DS is also fourteen months and babbles constantly. I have no idea if he's said anything because while he has said some recognisable words, they're in among all the babbling so I have no idea if it was intentional.
I think it's fairly normal for this age but it doesn't stop me worrying that he hasn't said anything yet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now