Talk

Advanced search

How to get 19mo to stay in bed?

(7 Posts)
BeeBopBunny Tue 16-Aug-11 18:16:33

My 19mo DD climbed out of her cot a couple of weeks ago and landed on the floor with a bump. This forced our hand to put her in a proper bed rather earlier than we'd anticipated. So, the bed arrived, DD loved it and the first two nights wre a dream - she only got out of bed once and went to sleep fairly quickly after that. But last night she wouldn't stay in bed. After putting her back in about 10 times I gave up and put her in her travel cot (which she hasn't been able to climb out of yet) and she went to sleep quickly. She wouldn't stay in her bed for yesterday's morning nap, or today's.

I know it's early days, but I just wondered what the best way of dealing with this is? I don't want to encourage any bad habits that will be harder to break later on. Should I keep putting her int he bed time after time until she eventually falls asleep, or is this just going to turn into the best game ever? Or should I persevere for a while then put her int he travel cot? Maybe concentrate on the bed at bedtime and use the travel cot for naps for the time being?

When she does get out she tends to pull the books of the shelf and 'read' them, twang the doorstop etc but this morning when she should have been napping she was starting to open the bedroom door when I went to put her back in bed. We can toddler-proof the door.

Fisharefriendsnotfood Tue 16-Aug-11 19:07:18

We put a stair gate on the door and totally baby proofed her room. After about 2/3 weeks of falling asleep on the carpet she realised the bed was more comfortable and that was that grin

<disclaimer we did lift her into bed once asleep>

Iggly Tue 16-Aug-11 21:32:23

Was she in a sleep bag when in the cot? That was the only thing that stopped DS climbing out. you can get ones without poppers on the shoulders.

Otherwise I'd keep putting her back as I'd worry about her hurting herself on something if you left get to it.

AngelDog Tue 16-Aug-11 23:08:52

I think a sleeping bag would make it more dangerous as she could get tangled if she tries to climb out (sorry, Iggly smile)

I'd keep putting her back although I've not had to deal with this yet myself (DS doesn't self-settle so is always asleep when I leave him).

Iggly Wed 17-Aug-11 07:38:30

No worries Angel - DS is a climber but didn't ever get tangled. He was quite adept at standing up in it though, the monkey grin Now he's in a bed, he has no bag.

BeeBopBunny Wed 17-Aug-11 09:56:27

She is always in a sleeping bag to go to sleep...but she can undo the zip now and escape from the bag. Little monkey. She was not in a bag when she climbed out of the cot, but I can't bank on that as she could get out of the bag in the night. Last night went better. I put her back in bed about 5 times and she stayed in bed after that. She doesn't (yet) get out of bed in the middle of the night, it's just during the initial going to bed phase. I'm keeping her int he travel cot for naps now as she's not exhausted enough to stay in bed. She can't get out of there, so that will do until the bed routine at night is sorted.

Thanks for your replies.

Iggly Wed 17-Aug-11 18:11:42

DS was the same at bedtime when we first used a bed (still is sometimes) but not (yet) at night. We put a low foam bed guard on as he stirs in the night and rolls but rarely fully wakes up (I suspect he'd climb out if he did). Rolling on the floor did wake him up so the guard is helpful but he can climb over. I didn't get a higher one as I knew he'd try and leap over it hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now