Talk

Advanced search

When do you think your baby isn't a baby anymore?

(9 Posts)
happygilmore Tue 16-Aug-11 14:13:56

DD is nearly 15 months and DH sometimes says she isn't a baby anymore, which gets a hard stare and a telling off from me. She is still a baby, oh yes.

When did you consider your DC were no longer babies?

And no-one tell me DD is no longer a baby, she is grin

Tee2072 Tue 16-Aug-11 15:19:07

I still call my 26 month old a baby, so your 15 month old certainly is!

I use my SIL's rule of thumb; they are a baby until they can reply 'not a baby a big boy/girl!'

grin

EdithWeston Tue 16-Aug-11 15:24:24

Mine are all still my babies! (Youngest is 7!)

But more sensibly, the "baby" tag often tends to get dropped when the next baby comes along - this can lead to different terminology in post-natal groups.

Around 18 months to 2 ish?

pinksmartie Tue 16-Aug-11 15:25:45

my DD was 17 yesterday and will always be my baby, whether she likes it or not!

Debs75 Tue 16-Aug-11 15:26:03

When they move out and have babies of their owngrin

Seriously I always thought of ds as my baby as he is autistic, non verbal and still in nappies. It wasn't until we had dd2 when he was 9 that I saw him as a chld not my baby.
I think once they are out of nappies, you can have a conversation and they have some independence, i.e. dressing, feeding themselves.

notcitrus Tue 16-Aug-11 15:29:00

Dn was six months going on six, and practically his first words were 'not a baby! Big boy!'
Whereas ds is 3 next month and still insists he's a baby, and refuses to do anything that is called 'grown-up' - so it's clever to use the potty and not grown-up at all...

happygilmore Tue 16-Aug-11 21:02:36

Very relieved you all think a lot older is still a baby!

belindarose Tue 16-Aug-11 21:34:30

DD, 2 this week, has been adamant for months that she's 'not a baby. Mine a little girl'. I have different ideas, of course!

Lexiejack Wed 17-Aug-11 10:06:02

Ds is 2 and a baby when it suits him e.g he can't be bothered to walk 'mummy carry your baby' or wants a dummy- pretend waaaa-ing and saying please I'm just a little baby! The rest of the time he says he's a big boy! In nursery we go by they're a baby until they are 4 as that's when you stop doing their age by months in assessments etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now