Talk

Advanced search

SALT referal

(10 Posts)
DrKnowNothing Tue 16-Aug-11 13:14:48

Hello

my 22 month old only has 2 words, yes and 'cat' - which only I can understand. I have been told we will probably get a SALT referal at 2 if there is not a significant improvement. He still babbles like a baby a lot, and his hearing seems fine.

What should I expect? How did your late talkers develop?

Some of my friends toddlers are having conversations and are younger than DS. I just want to hear him say mummy sad.

ragged Tue 16-Aug-11 13:20:56

There is a current support thread going. I wouldn't despair at all with a DS like yours, he's not ridiculously behind at all.

DrKnowNothing Tue 16-Aug-11 13:25:44

Thanks ragged, will look there.

willowthecat Tue 16-Aug-11 13:34:33

The SALT assessment will probably focus on his general communication skills - pointing, gesturing, shared attention etc rather than number of words

jeee Tue 16-Aug-11 13:41:19

Gosh, you're lucky. In our area they no longer refer until the child is at least 2.6.

If it's any consolation, my three DDs have all had speech delays, with DD2 and DD3 being described as having severe speech delays, and they did catch up. Well, DD3 is still delayed, but she is only four. The older two have had no difficulty at school.

It is worrying when your child has a speech delay, and you will want to punch those people who inform you that their child was an early speaker, "but of course they spoke to them all the time". I always want to reply to this, "thanks, next time I'll remember not to lock them in the cupboard under the stairs a la Harry Potter."

Good luck.

willowthecat Tue 16-Aug-11 13:51:00

Yes anyone 're assuring' you is likely to say that either you are not talking enough to your child or talking too much and not giving the child a chance or maybe both at the same time ? - but the main thing they want you to know is that it's somehow your fault which it isn't ! Take a check list with you to the assessment so you know what to say about his communication

DrKnowNothing Tue 16-Aug-11 14:09:08

Willow

its interesting what you say about shared attention. I have been trying to put my finger on how to describe his behaviour in 'social' situations. He often will not acknowledge people he knows (smile or wave) or say goodbye (again won't smile or wave or even look at them when they are saying bye). He is generally a lovely happy smiley boy though smile.

jeee I have been lucky, haven't experienced too many 'helpful' comments so far - perhaps they will come. Late talkers run on both sides of the family and I know they have all been fine but deep down you still worry and feel they are missing out on something. On another level I find it very frustrating that I still sometimes talk to him like I did when he was a baby i.e. mummy is now making breakfast as otherwise we wouldn't 'talk' much..

willowthecat Tue 16-Aug-11 14:14:03

shared attention means the ability to join in with a shared idea - such as if you look surprised or shocked, will he react ? or if you point at something in the distance, will he try to follow your point - not all the time but usually etc.

willowthecat Tue 16-Aug-11 14:15:17

failure to acknowledge people probably not so important - ds2 never really did that much at 22 months (or even now !) but was fine at shared attention for communication.

emjam67 Tue 16-Aug-11 15:11:04

Hi! I don't think you should worry about him at the moment. My DS is now 4.2 and only said 'mummy' about 3 months ago. We took him to see the health visitor about his not talking when he was 2.4 months old and it took 5 months for the appointment with SALT to come through so that is one thing you may want to think about. He also had a hearing test which was fine. He didn't really start saying words until he was 3.8 months and he is now saying a few sentences. Remember every child is different and there is help out there if you want it. With support from his nursery and other medical professionals, DS is starting school next month which has alanguage unit attached.

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now