Talk

Advanced search

7 year old daughter can't get to sleep - PLEASE HELP

(7 Posts)
dravensangel Tue 16-Aug-11 12:21:00

I have 7 year old twins, they are with me part time and part time with thier dad. My daughter will not go to sleep until at least 11pm most nights and its gradually getting worse, she keeps her brother and me awake. I went to see the GP because I passed out at work from tiredness and am close to losing my job, she has prescribed phenergan, but I'm a bit scared to use it. I have tried everything, calming cd's, night lights, reward charts, lavender pillows, getting into bed with her - you name it - am literally at my wits end. Can anyone help?

ChablisorSancerre Tue 16-Aug-11 15:45:38

Sorry I have no advice for you but didn't want to ignore your post. Hopefully someone will be along soon who can help.

Does she behave the same when she is at her Dads?

dravensangel Wed 17-Aug-11 08:16:44

Thank you so much for answering my post!

In answer to your questions, no she doesn't behave the same at her dads. She has a baby sister there who she doesn't want to wake up, so she says she just reads and stays in bed. For some reason, she clearly can't do that when she is a mine!

rubyrubyruby Wed 17-Aug-11 08:23:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mnistooaddictive Wed 17-Aug-11 08:25:39

If she isn't the same at her Dads then I would suggest she is doing it for attention. I would start taking her back to bed and ignoring her. It may ge horrendous gut a few nights but not too long.

Kiwiinkits Wed 17-Aug-11 23:19:47

Perhaps try reading her a book, chapter at a time? At night, say 7.30 at bedtime, go in and sit on her bed and read to her. Maybe get her to read some out loud to you. Your DD will love the attention and closeness.

Roald Dahl's books are brilliant at this age. e.g the BFG, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Also, what's her bedding like? I only say this because as a youngster I could never sleep on synthetic sheets or under synthetic duvets as I got too sweaty! Cotton sheets much nicer.

cece Wed 17-Aug-11 23:25:32

I had this and was prescribed the same drug as you. It was weird. DS used to go hyper (talking) for at least 30 mins after taking it, would then do three big yawns and then fall asleep! But it would only really keep him asleep till about 2 am and then he woud wake up again. So in a way worse than going to bed late iyswim.

The current situation is the best we have tried so far. He is now sharing a bedroom with his sister and this has helped a lot. It seems to make him feel safer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now